Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking Brainstorm.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-brainstorm-73130/)

Mating Slinkys 06-20-2011 12:36 PM

Stocking Brainstorm....

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there folks, I'm just back into the hobby having been tankless for a couple years, and I've decided to start small, mostly due to being in a little flat without much space for the big ol' tanks I used to play with. So, i have just got my little 14g (US) up and running and going through the cycle. I've got it decorated (pretty much, I might fiddle a bit, but I like the simple look) and my thoughts are heading towards stocking time....

I've been thinking that, in keeping with the simple idea, a school of pygmy cories on the bottom, as I just kinda love pygmy cories, a school of some thing like Galaxy Rasboras in the mid level, and a few cherry shrimp thrown in for a bit of interest.

Any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms gladly welcomed, along with any ideas about numbers, as I am still a little rusty on what i can get away with in a little tank. I was thinking 6-7 pygmy cories, 10-15 rasboras and a few (2-3) shrimp. There's plenty of filtration, as I have always been a fan of over filtering just in case...

Oh, and a pic....

LasColinasCichlids 06-20-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mating Slinkys (Post 706433)
Hey there folks, I'm just back into the hobby having been tankless for a couple years, and I've decided to start small, mostly due to being in a little flat without much space for the big ol' tanks I used to play with. So, i have just got my little 14g (US) up and running and going through the cycle. I've got it decorated (pretty much, I might fiddle a bit, but I like the simple look) and my thoughts are heading towards stocking time....

I've been thinking that, in keeping with the simple idea, a school of pygmy cories on the bottom, as I just kinda love pygmy cories, a school of some thing like Galaxy Rasboras in the mid level, and a few cherry shrimp thrown in for a bit of interest.

Any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms gladly welcomed, along with any ideas about numbers, as I am still a little rusty on what i can get away with in a little tank. I was thinking 6-7 pygmy cories, 10-15 rasboras and a few (2-3) shrimp. There's plenty of filtration, as I have always been a fan of over filtering just in case...

Oh, and a pic....

First off, your tank set up looks lovely!!!

I have never had pygmy cory, but from what I understand, they dont stay strictly on the bottom as other cories, that they like to occasionally shoal mid-level. But your number of them sounds great, might even consider 9-10 on those little guys. I am not familiar with galaxy rasboras, but I would figure they are similar in size to most rasboras and max out around 2 inches in size, which if 2" is their adult size expectation, in a 14g tank, I wouldnt put more than maybe 7. However, if they are a 1" inch or smaller fish, then I say that is a great number. And shrimp are always interesting and a great clean up crew!!

If you have sand as your substrate you might even consider some MTS to keep it the sanded aired and do what they do so well under the sand.

But your stocking list sounds awesome and the tank looks great! Welcome back to fish keeping!!!

Byron 06-20-2011 01:32 PM

I agree, very lovely aquascape, and well suited to the fish mentioned.

Corydoras pygmaeus can be finicky at times, and I would suggest a larger group as you have the space. Click on the shaded name for more info. The Galaxy Rasbora is in our profiles too, under the common name Celestial Pearl Danio or scientifically Danio margaritatus. Ensure you get a ratio of male/female as the males can be "rough" with each other.

And welcome back to the hobby, and to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.

Mating Slinkys 06-20-2011 01:47 PM

Thanks for the compliments!

I've kept pygmy cories before (I had 30 odd in a big tank, I like a big school) and you're right, they do potter into the mid level a bit, which is one reason that I like them, and 10 does sound like a nicer figure than 6, so I might well go with that...

As for the rasboras, i was just throwing one type I'd seen that was pretty in as an idea, I'll need to be doing a bit more research into the sizes and the like and seeing if my LFS actually has or can get them, but if anyone can think of other colourful little fish that would serve the same role then shout out! I'm open to ideas at the moment and haven't got my heart set on anything in particular yet...

Same with the cherry shrimp, they have them at the LFS and I like a splash of colour, but if anyone knows any other inverts that would go into the tank and suit it let me know. I've always liked Bamboo Shrimp, and others like that, but I suspect that they might be pushing it with a tank this size...

My substrate isn't sand, though I can see that it looks like it in the pic, it's actually quite fine gravel, about 2-3mm particles, so I think I can get away without snails as I've never really been a fan of the look of snails in a tank (just my preference, please don't get cross MTS fans!) I did think about some smaller loaches, like kuhli's or yoyo's to do a similar job, but again the small tank would preclude a decent sized group so I think the pygmy cories are the way forward there.

Thanks for the thought!

Byron 06-20-2011 02:14 PM

In a 14g, groups (7-9) of 2 or 3 of the species:

Scarlet Badis
Ember Tetra
Sparkling Gourami
Mosquito Rasbora or one of the similar Boraras species
Corydoras pygmaeus or Corydoras habrosus or Corydoras hastatus

male Endlers Livebearer or male Guppy
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
Freshwater Shrimp

Some of the above depend upon your water, as some will be wild caught and particular as to hardness and corresponding pH. The first 6 are soft to medium hard water, the latter 4 definitely medium hard to hard water with basic pH.

One loach suitable for a 15g is the Banded Dwarf Loach, a group of 6-8 if you can find them. I have a group in with my Dwarf Loach. The latter might work, a group of five, though I would prefer larger space for these. But the Banded are fine.

redchigh 06-20-2011 02:18 PM

A lot of it depends on your PH- Most fish prefer either acidic or basic... For an idea, cories and tetras like acidic, while danios and some inverts prefer basic.

If you want a colorful invert, what about a CPO? (AKA, dwarf mexican crawfish)

Mating Slinkys 06-20-2011 03:43 PM

Oooh, lots of ideas there, thanks for all the replies!

I like the dwarf loaches, they might be fun, although i've not seen any near me, just the usual yoyo's and so on, though my LFS is good for ordering stuff from, so it's certainly a possibility...

I love Dwarf Puffers, I used to keep a few (in fact there should be some photo's somewhere on the forum from when I had them) in fact i asked my LFS about them this morning. Apparently he won;t be getting any in till September, when he goes out to wild catch some more. I like them, but I don't wanna wait that long...

I've also had crayfish in the past, and I like them too, but I fancy something that I've not had before in an Invert. Plus I got really very annoyed at Thermi when he used to "rearrange" my plants...

I'm definitely edging toward some kind of rasbora, the mosquito is nice, and the size means I could have a decent shoal going on. I've also always been quite fond of endlers, but never had the opportunity to keep them, so a shoal of them might go in nicely. But ooh, I also really like the Dwarf Emerald Rasbora too. Choices choices...

I think my best bet is gonna be to see what is available in the LFS in a couple weeks when we're all done cycling things, but don't let that stop you making more suggestions! What would you do? All ideas, however crazy, welcome!

LasColinasCichlids 06-20-2011 05:33 PM

The Ember Tetra are a beautiful and small fish, and a personal fave of mine is the sparkling gourami (although I sadly cant get my hands on any here).

Totally had forgotten that the Galaxy Rasbora is the same as a CPD... those guys are BEAUTIFUL!!! And perfectly sized!!

I like the idea of sticking with all smaller stock like the pygmy cories, CPD, and so forth.

Another "invert" idea, although its not an invert, but an African Dwarf Frog... although with the small species of fish they could become frog food as I have had and seen ADFs eat full size Zebra Danios for a snack (and I am talking about an ADF, not the ACF.)

So many choices, you are right!!!

I have kuhlis in my 15g, and when they are all out, it aggravates my other fish, and it just seems like so many fish it takes my eyes of the beauty and calmness of the rest of the tank. Plus, me being a snail fan, dont like the fact that the loaches seem to keep eating my pouch snails! (Actually getting rid of the lil boogers... my bestie has 5 in her 29g so I am going to let her pick which ones she wants and the rest I will see if my LFS will take in for store credit... no plans to replace them with anything at the moment...just going to keep it the rasboras and betta...and put some of my pouch snails from my 29g in there.)

Cant wait to hear and see what you end up stocking with!!! Keep us posted!!!

Byron 06-20-2011 05:44 PM

I overlooked the Dwarf Puffer in the last post, since I copied that from a post I made yesterday to save typeing. But in a 14g you could have 4-5 DP, nothing else though. B.

Mating Slinkys 06-20-2011 06:17 PM

And more thoughts!

I might be getting a little too pernickerty here, but I have been thinking that if I go with a few cherry shrimp then I'll want to avoid red fish (not for any particular reason other than it will look more colourful...) So I figure that the Galaxy or Emerald Dwarf Rasbora's might do this perfectly, but then the sparkling gourami are so pretty!

I love the idea of ADF's, and have kept them in this very tank before, until they escaped and were found rather crispy sometime later... and while i think i could escape proof the tank this time The smaller fish might be too tempting a meal and like LasColinas suggests I think the plan is lots of tiny fish if possible.

I also know about keeping Dwarf Puffers separate - so cute yet so deadly!

Thanks for all the ideas folks, I'll keep you posted with what I do, just gotta wait out the cycle (man I hate that bit...) and hopefully get some pictures up when there are inhabitants.

One more question; I was thinking of putting a couple of mossballs in to fill in the foreground, and leave the planting at that, but do you folks think that it needs anything more in the way of plants?