Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Snail Bio Load? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snail-bio-load-7309/)

coley 08-03-2007 04:32 PM

Snail Bio Load?

I have a Golden Mystery Snail and I was wondering what kind of load he puts on the tank. It's about 1 inch round.

Thanks,

blueblue48 08-03-2007 05:10 PM

lol, i never really saw my snail do anything like poop before?? i think that they help alot more then they could hurt so i dont usually worry about it. still thats an interesting question and id like to hear the answer too :!:

coley 08-03-2007 05:42 PM

After doing some research I found 1 to 2 gallons per snail for maximum health and happiness.

blueblue48 08-03-2007 06:26 PM

wow thats pretty crazy, i think it still works for me since i have a beta and a snail in a 2.5 gallon.

Falina 08-03-2007 06:29 PM

Snails actually poo a lot - just keep up filteration and water changes though and you'll be fine. I find them reallygood to watch.

fish_4_all 08-03-2007 08:26 PM

If the snails are fed enough to keep them happy they make a huge mess! I have 2 adult and 7 juvenile mystery snails in one tank and I have to remove more poo than in my fish tanks that are heavily planted and probably overstocked.

It is like any other snail though, if you don't overfeed the fish I doubt that the snail makes much more poo than a small sized fish like a danio or swordtail. Just remember, mystery snails need a higher pH to keep their shells healthy and need a lot of calcium in the water or high calcium food sources otherwise you will see shell erosion.

coley 08-03-2007 08:48 PM

Yeah they are fun to watch.

I can't believe how fast my snail moves. I'll look over at the tank...do a little work on my computer...look back and he's on the other side of the tank. I thought they were supposed to be slow. This guy's amazing.

blueblue48 08-03-2007 09:05 PM

i know! my tank with a snail is right next to the bed. whats really funny is to look over and find them at the very tip of some plant doing a balancing act :D .

fish_4_all 08-03-2007 09:25 PM

Try feeding them and not seeing but 2 pr 3 of them, turn around and do something for minutes and look back to see them stacked on top of each other.

Falina 08-04-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Try feeding them and not seeing but 2 pr 3 of them, turn around and do something for minutes and look back to see them stacked on top of each other.

Yep! I remember seeing them 3 high once - I still don't know how the top one did not fall off, or how the poos one at the bottom managed to just go on about his business eating his spinich throughout!