Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Anyone wanna take a willd guess? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/anyone-wanna-take-willd-guess-73087/)

alysalouise 06-19-2011 10:18 PM

Anyone wanna take a willd guess?

2 Attachment(s)
Ive never bred Mollies before, So i picked up 3 Very pregnant females... So anyone wanna guess the amount of babies each will have? this will give me an idea to know how many ill be caring for

Here the girls are :) (Sorry the pictures arent that great, didnt wanna charge the battery in my moms camera so just used my phone)

small fry 06-20-2011 12:15 AM

Since you are new to breeding mollies, let me mention a detail I am not sure if you are aware of. Mollies will eat any fry that they find, even their own. You need to have many hiding spots. Many plants that float at the top (fake and real) are great places for fry to hide and eat off the surface without much risk. The number of expected fry would vary by what fish you had and how many of each kind, what size tank it is, what hiding spots you had, how much you fed the adults (don't overfeed, but definately don't underfeed, that is what I am talking about), and the general water quality. I wouldn't be able to accurately guess even if all the information was presented, but those are some of the factors that it is based upon.

Mollies generally have about anywhere from 8 to 20 fry when young, and often around 30 when mature, especially if they have already had fry. You can expect loses no matter how well your tank is setup. You kind of just have to guess at it, based on the average and how your tank is setup. It is much easier to do that the second time through, even if you have different fish.

Good luck with your fry! Hope this helps!:-)

alysalouise 06-20-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by small fry (Post 705997)
Since you are new to breeding mollies, let me mention a detail I am not sure if you are aware of. Mollies will eat any fry that they find, even their own. You need to have many hiding spots. Many plants that float at the top (fake and real) are great places for fry to hide and eat off the surface without much risk. The number of expected fry would vary by what fish you had and how many of each kind, what size tank it is, what hiding spots you had, how much you fed the adults (don't overfeed, but definately don't underfeed, that is what I am talking about), and the general water quality. I wouldn't be able to accurately guess even if all the information was presented, but those are some of the factors that it is based upon.

Mollies generally have about anywhere from 8 to 20 fry when young, and often around 30 when mature, especially if they have already had fry. You can expect loses no matter how well your tank is setup. You kind of just have to guess at it, based on the average and how your tank is setup. It is much easier to do that the second time through, even if you have different fish.

Good luck with your fry! Hope this helps!:-)

Well in that tank alone i just had 2 guppies drop, total of 27 babies, they are in the breeder net for a short period of time, and the guppies have since been moved into my 29 gallon, but this tank is a 14 gallon with 3 mollies 1 platy and 3 cherry barbs, and i have had a drop of 32 swordtail babies in there, mom didnt eat them and i didnt have plants in there, i have rather big rocks that i notice the babies hide under when the moms have dropped. And from what i have heard swordtails are the worst about eating their babies

small fry 06-20-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 706005)
Well in that tank alone i just had 2 guppies drop, total of 27 babies, they are in the breeder net for a short period of time, and the guppies have since been moved into my 29 gallon, but this tank is a 14 gallon with 3 mollies 1 platy and 3 cherry barbs, and i have had a drop of 32 swordtail babies in there, mom didnt eat them and i didnt have plants in there, i have rather big rocks that i notice the babies hide under when the moms have dropped. And from what i have heard swordtails are the worst about eating their babies

Hahaha, LOL. You heard right. I "bred" Swordtails for months and months and months and with all the hiding spots and decor, I only raised 1 fry. Actually, I only saw 1 fry. Period. I don't know why I was so insuccessful. :-?

That sounds good. Maybe slightly overstocked. Mollies aren't too super bad about eating their young. It kind of depends on the temperment of the Molly, and the setup. Sounds like you may not have a problem.

Also, I am just going to throw this in there real quick. Cherry Barbs are a shoal fish that prefer a group of 5 minimumly. They are a little bit more tolerable to lower numbers that other shoaling species, but it is a good idea to keep them in a properly sized group. You could save alot of time and money not having to fight a suprise diesase.

Sounds like you're good to go! Can't wait to see pics (LOL)! :-)

alysalouise 06-20-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by small fry (Post 706033)
Hahaha, LOL. You heard right. I "bred" Swordtails for months and months and months and with all the hiding spots and decor, I only raised 1 fry. Actually, I only saw 1 fry. Period. I don't know why I was so insuccessful. :-?

That sounds good. Maybe slightly overstocked. Mollies aren't too super bad about eating their young. It kind of depends on the temperment of the Molly, and the setup. Sounds like you may not have a problem.

Also, I am just going to throw this in there real quick. Cherry Barbs are a shoal fish that prefer a group of 5 minimumly. They are a little bit more tolerable to lower numbers that other shoaling species, but it is a good idea to keep them in a properly sized group. You could save alot of time and money not having to fight a suprise diesase.

Sounds like you're good to go! Can't wait to see pics (LOL)! :-)

That was my first time with swords lol. But I know cherry barbs are just haven't gotton 3 more yet. I like keeping my shoaling fish in groups of 6 if not more. I. Am just waiting on the cherry barbs and red eyed tetra to go on the 5 for 5 sale again lol. But I think tomorrow I'm going to pick up another bet breeder for all the Molly fry cause my other one has 27 gypped fry and 1 Molly fry in it right now
And I'm going to be gone for 8 days so I don't want to over crowd them even though almost all of them are newborns besides 2
But when I get back they will be moved to a 10 gallon
Or maybe ill rearrange all my fish between al my tanks so I can keep all my babies in my 29 gallon
We will see how everything will work out
Posted via Mobile Device

LasColinasCichlids 06-20-2011 01:18 PM

If you have tank space, you would be amazed at how awesome cherry barbs (or any shoaling fish really) behave when in a group of 7-9+!! They are more active, and their colors stand out more because there are more females around to show off their intense coloration to (in general there is more females). With shoaling fish, its definitely the more the merrier!!!

Good Luck with your fry though, sounds like you are ready!!!

alysalouise 06-20-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 706457)
If you have tank space, you would be amazed at how awesome cherry barbs (or any shoaling fish really) behave when in a group of 7-9+!! They are more active, and their colors stand out more because there are more females around to show off their intense coloration to (in general there is more females). With shoaling fish, its definitely the more the merrier!!!

Good Luck with your fry though, sounds like you are ready!!!

Oh i know, i did have 9 Danios, but do to ich i lost a few, so i was down to 6 and just picked up another yesterday, he is a blue one, he is quite lovely (im not talking those $6 neon colored ones, just the normal ones) So now i have a glow, a blue, and the rest are of norman color, the uh black with that kind of green color

And i have a group of 6 black skirted tetra who are real pretty