Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Ah! Can't she just be happy for the cat? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/ah-cant-she-just-happy-cat-73082/)

konstargirl 06-19-2011 08:54 PM

Ah! Can't she just be happy for the cat?

Okay so today I was on facebook and one of my local animals shelters just announced that after 10 years of being at the shelter, a 14 year old cat name flo was adopted. I was very happy. =D The cat has arthritis and is very ill. I probably wouldn't adopt a cat or dog or any senior animal of that matter anyway if I could.

Then when I told my mom this about Flo and her situation, she said some of the heartbreaking things to say about a cat that old. She's like, "Why can't they just leave it at the shelter? It's going to die soon?" Now I know I didn't want it to be said,but I was so frustrated at her. She asked me if I rather adopted a kitten or a senior cat. I said even though I really love kittens, I would probably go with a senior cat. Why would you say that about a poor animal, especially if that animal is sick? Just because it's old doesn't mean it won't be loved or anything. If you can't say nice about it then don't say it at all.. :(

SeaHorse 06-20-2011 11:54 AM

Hey Konstargirl. I think maybe she's thinking the old girl has made friends at the shelter after 14 years. Often in some locations there is a Cat Play room where they run and play together. Or maybe they get to be the office cat at some point. Then you are actually taking her away from the only home she has ever known. And that seems sad too. D if you do, and D if you don't. See what I mean. I think it is wonderful that she now has someone to love her all by herself and hope that she has many more years ahead of her!!

SinCrisis 06-20-2011 12:00 PM

also, from a logical standpoint, adopting a kitten and giving the kitten a full life of happieness would yield more "happiness" than adopting a cat that is not in the best health and will probably die of natural causes soon.

Also when animals are moved to different environments, it often involves adding stress to the animals lives before they acclimate to the new environment. For a ill cat like Flo who cant travel very well, a new environment could be very stressful or cause depression. Although it sucks, sometimes, change, even if it seems for the better, is not actually better for the animals.

SeaHorse 06-20-2011 12:07 PM

Thank you, you explained it so much better than I did.

konstargirl 07-09-2011 09:37 AM

I saw an update about Flo and the owners said that she is doing fine.

SinCrisis 07-16-2011 11:03 AM

That's good to hear! good luck to Flo.