Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Vacation-Feeding Fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/vacation-feeding-fish-73015/)

29Kilo29 06-18-2011 10:55 PM

Vacation-Feeding Fish?
 
Hi,

I'm going on vacation next week for 10 days. I have done some searching but the only solution I have found is not feeding the fish, and feeding them well when I get back. I don't think that will work if I am gone for 10 days (closer to 12 days because of flights).

I have looked into some automated fish feeders and dissolving blocks, but the reviews on them aren't good.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Mikaila31 06-19-2011 10:49 AM

If you can't have some one stop by a couple times and feed them your normal food then DO NOT feed them. Any healthy fish will be fine for over a week without food. Your MUCH more likely to have a problem if you use an auto feeder or feeding block. Both do more harm then good.

29Kilo29 06-19-2011 01:59 PM

I can have someone stop by once or twice over the week and a half, is that enough?

Also, what is so harmful about an auto-feeder?
I know the feeding blocks can be terrible as they can change the PH and whatnot.

Byron 06-19-2011 02:44 PM

I completely agree with Mikaila.

Fish can go a week easily, and usually longer, if they are healthy and in a good environment. I would be more concerned with equipment failing when you're not there. If you have a "fish" person who could deal with issues, that is super lucky; they can feed intelligently. Someone with no fish experience needs careful coaching as to the amount to feed [perhaps measure out ahead? or use a small kitchen-type measuring spoon?], and twice during 10 days would (should) be adequate.

Auto-feeders can break, dumping all the food in at once. You can imagine what this can do to water quality.

Byron.

alysalouise 06-19-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 705536)
Auto-feeders can break, dumping all the food in at once. You can imagine what this can do to water quality.

Byron.


you could come home to a completly green tanks
Happened to me but it was my little brother who dumped the entire fish food container into the water and no one knew for a few days. Ya talk about Water changes

29Kilo29 06-19-2011 04:19 PM

Well I guess I'll have to give my grandmother a fish keeping lesson :P

I have some Tetras, Angelfish, Plecos, Platys and some Rasboras... would they all be okay going a while without food? (I was reading that tougher fish are okay, but small ones might not)

Also, is there any special food that should be given to them before I leave, or when my grandmother feeds them to prepare them for a while without food?

Thanks

29Kilo29 06-19-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 705587)
you could come home to a completly green tanks
Happened to me but it was my little brother who dumped the entire fish food container into the water and no one knew for a few days. Ya talk about Water changes

Ouch... Did your fish live though?

alysalouise 06-19-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 705605)
Ouch... Did your fish live though?


I dont remember what fish i had in there, but if it was just my 1 zebra danio then yes lol, she was in a 29 gallon tank all alone quite often, she lived for 4 years through like 100 of fish that my dad and i put in there (no not all at once, a few would go in and them a while later died and we would do it again, and she lived through them all)

Byron 06-19-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 705603)
Well I guess I'll have to give my grandmother a fish keeping lesson :P

I have some Tetras, Angelfish, Plecos, Platys and some Rasboras... would they all be okay going a while without food? (I was reading that tougher fish are okay, but small ones might not)

Also, is there any special food that should be given to them before I leave, or when my grandmother feeds them to prepare them for a while without food?

Thanks

Do a good water change on the day before you leave, or as close as possible. Feed the fish daily but normal amounts leading up.

29Kilo29 07-05-2011 08:00 PM

Thanks again!

Everyone survived :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2