Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   New to live plants... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-live-plants-72989/)

serpaekeeper45 06-18-2011 01:57 PM

New to live plants...

Long story short, a long time ago i got into live plants. At the time i think i had 3 tanks all with numerous live plants (i ended up getting them for free from my LFS) Had them for a few months before they started to die off. I suspect they had improper light conditions because i was mixing and matching hoods for my aquariums at the time not knowing what i was doing. Anyway, now all i have is one tank(20 gallon long). Right now i have 3 convicts and 2 yoyo loaches. Just wondering what types of plants there are that would be good for a beginner. Also, what maintenance would they require?(ie light conditions, co2 ect...) Im looking for something thats gets relitively large but does not require more equipment to maintain. I hope i gave enough info :)

On a side note, its good to be here again. Cant wait to talk to you all!

Inga 06-18-2011 03:47 PM

There are the two I would start out with if I had convicts in a tank. They can be attached to driftwood or large Rocks. They are both happy in low light, would only require a little Flourish Comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium once a week. Also, with Convicts that like to move around the gravel, they would have a good chance of being undisturbed because they would be fastened to rock or driftwood with fishing line.

Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Anubias Congensis

Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Java Fern Aquatic Plant

Byron 06-19-2011 03:33 PM

You will find some basic info in the series "A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium" at the head of this section of the forum.

I am assuming you are planning on a much larger tank in the near future? A 20g long is only temporary housing for both Convict Cichlids and Yoyo Loach. And the latter need a group of 5 minimum, as explained in our profile [click the shaded name].

serpaekeeper45 06-22-2011 02:50 AM

Thanks both of you.

To answer your question, i dont plan on upping my tank size as i dont have any space or money haha. I have had the yoyo's since 2007 when i joined the forum and they have been living in this tank and a 29 gallon that i used to have since then. They [i]seem[i]to be quite happy as they have maintained a normal diet and are always active. Hopefully I'm not causing them unnecessary stress...

Next time I am at my LFS i will definitely see if they have these plants. Thanks again!

Byron 06-22-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpaekeeper45 (Post 708211)
Thanks both of you.

To answer your question, i dont plan on upping my tank size as i dont have any space or money haha. I have had the yoyo's since 2007 when i joined the forum and they have been living in this tank and a 29 gallon that i used to have since then. They [i]seem[i]to be quite happy as they have maintained a normal diet and are always active. Hopefully I'm not causing them unnecessary stress...

Next time I am at my LFS i will definitely see if they have these plants. Thanks again!

My sole interest in responding to questions/issues is to provide assistance that will hopefully lead to healthier fish for those who ask/post. So please do not take this as personal criticism.

A 29g is not sufficient space for 1 let alone 2 Convict Cichlids. The fish is very aggressive for its relatively small size, although 6 inches is not exactly small. You are only asking for trouble, and the fish will be the losers.

Loaches are highly social fish, with a complex social structure well documented. A group of 5 is best for the fish. Attaining 6 inches, they need a 48-inch tank to be healthy.

What we can observe externally is no guarantee to what the fish is dealing with internally.