Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   what to epect when youre expecting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/what-epect-when-youre-expecting-72981/)

PaperclipGirl 06-16-2011 02:47 PM

what to epect when youre expecting

Okay - so I think I have a few more days until the eggs hatch - so how can I prepare and what should I expect.

(convict cichlids laid eggs- btw)

I read a few things on the internet but I still have some questions.

1. cover the filter intake tubes? I have some pantyhose and rubber bands - I assume this will work, but not look pretty - then I guess I removed them when the fry get bigger? What about filter flow? I have two filters now, should I removed one?

2. daily water changes? I am good about wwc and I vacuum the sand every other day. But I read that they will need daily changes (also - what will happen if I don't? I don't really want all of the fry to survive or I will have an overloaded tank. I'm pretty close now I think the older siblings but they are still small.

3. Grind up flake food... is this going to be good enough and how will they know when I put it in the tank?

4. Should I remove my pleco and black fin shark? I read the parents can get really aggressive. Right now they just chase away anyone that gets too close, but they haven't injured them.

Just some questions as this is my first time with breeding fish and I consider myself to be quite the newbie with fish.

PaperclipGirl 06-17-2011 02:49 PM

Does anyone know? or is there a sticky somewhere?

PaperclipGirl 06-17-2011 10:56 PM

Well now mama has moved the eggs from the clay pot and dug a hole in the sand where they sit. The guarding is relentless and they don't like me looking at them. I didn't know they moved the eggs... the ones they didn't move became happy meals for the big brothers/sisters....

jeaninel 06-18-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperclipGirl (Post 702748)
Okay - so I think I have a few more days until the eggs hatch - so how can I prepare and what should I expect.

(convict cichlids laid eggs- btw)

I read a few things on the internet but I still have some questions.

1. cover the filter intake tubes? I have some pantyhose and rubber bands - I assume this will work, but not look pretty - then I guess I removed them when the fry get bigger? What about filter flow? I have two filters now, should I removed one?

2. daily water changes? I am good about wwc and I vacuum the sand every other day. But I read that they will need daily changes (also - what will happen if I don't? I don't really want all of the fry to survive or I will have an overloaded tank. I'm pretty close now I think the older siblings but they are still small.

3. Grind up flake food... is this going to be good enough and how will they know when I put it in the tank?

4. Should I remove my pleco and black fin shark? I read the parents can get really aggressive. Right now they just chase away anyone that gets too close, but they haven't injured them.

Just some questions as this is my first time with breeding fish and I consider myself to be quite the newbie with fish.

Yes, I would suggest covering the filter intake with pantyhose or a pre-filter sponge so the fry don't get sucked up into the filter.

I don't do daily water changes with my Convict fry simply because of my work schedule and since they are not a fish I am raising to sell. I do a couple 50% wc per week. However, my pair is in a 20 long by themselves. They are a young pair and only about 2-2.5" each. With your pleco and shark they are probably adding quite a bit more to the bio load.

Ground up flake food is fine for the fry. That's what I've been using. When they were first hatched the mother would take some flakes in her mouth and spit it out towards the fry to feed them. She would also take the fry into her mouth and spit them out over by a "feeding station" which was a fake rock structure that she decided was a good place for the fry to forage for food. They babies now know when I put food in probably due to their sense of smell.

On removing the pleco and shark, may not be a bad idea. What size tank are they in and do you have another tank to put the other fish in?

PaperclipGirl 06-18-2011 06:51 PM

They are in a 55g

The total bio load is this

2 breeding convicts - full size adult
about 13 (if I counted right) juveniles under 1 inch

1 regular pleco about 2.5 inches

1 black fin shark catfish about 3 inches

and the small batch of babies/eggs.

I am actually considering adding a pink convict or two to add some dilution to the colors, but what to do with the fry needs to be considered first.

I have two people that want the fry from this batch and some of the juveniles.

I actually removed one of my filters the babies are in so I don't suck any up right now. I am going to exchange it with another filter that I can control the flow so there is still filtration but not so strong. I'm going to bundle the filter with hose for now - I like the sponge idea.

My other 55g has two goldfish - which I was going to convert to an oscar tank and I have one small goldfish in a 14g tank. Both of which are established and have been running for a few years. And I have a 20g long that is empty.

jeaninel 06-18-2011 06:56 PM

Don't the pleco and shark help with population control? They may be ok to leave in as long as they're not getting beat up by the parents.