Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   I'm a new Mom (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/im-new-mom-72980/)

SeaHorse 06-18-2011 09:49 AM

I'm a new Mom

So I have several live breeding species in my tank.... and have seen several females get pregnant but never any babies.... ever. I keep looking... but nothing!
Well.....!!!! Today I found this little creature swimming way in the far left side of my tank, staying very close to a few plants and a rock to hide under. So far only one! It's quite inquisitive and comes out to see me whenever I peer in.
It could be a Pineapple Swordtail... both parents have passed in the last 2-3 weeks...
A Black Molly but it is not black... are baby Mollies black? (2 F/1 M in the tank)
A Callico Molly... 1M/1 pregnant F in the tank.
My vote is the Calico Molly...... and they are very cute, the Male especially!!

I am over the moon excited! It has been 4 years in this new house with no babies ever. I could never figure out why other than they were likely getting eaten.....or assumed it was because of the extreemely hard water and high PH.... Did I tell you how excited I am????
Take a look!!!! Wooooo hoooooooo !!!:redyay::blueyay::greenyay:

gmyers0203 06-18-2011 12:36 PM

Very cool!!! Congrats!

SeaHorse 06-18-2011 02:35 PM

Thankyou!! I have used my better judgement and put it in the breeder box at the top of the tank. He/she/it is major snack sized at tip to tail measuring in at 3/8 inch or a half cm. I'm really looking forward to identifying its species. lol

Inga 06-18-2011 03:03 PM

Congratulations! I remember being just that excited when I saw my first baby as well. I named her Junior. She is now a full grown adult Lovely apricot Guppy. Sadly, after Junior came the other million Guppy babies. I can't keep up anymore. ha ha I have taken several large batches to the LFS because I can't keep them all. Not Junior though, she is still with me. She was just like your little guy. Every time I would peek in she would come out to greet me. I fell in love when all she looked like was a little mosquito with big black eyes. ha ha

SeaHorse 06-18-2011 03:27 PM

LOL YOU MADE ME LAUGH!!! True true. I may live to regret this....
It is a little bewildered I think.... what happened to my plants and stuff....? I will only keep it in the breeder tank until it no longer fits anyone's mouth! and then release it back into that corner where there is lots of cover. I have 4 larger Rainbowfish and 3 very fast Rosy Barbs....and it would be gone in the blink of an eye......just my luck, I would be sitting there talking to it, encouraging it to come out cause that's just me and slurp....... gone........ oh crap.......

Inga 06-18-2011 03:52 PM

I know I sound cruel but over breeding is an issue as well. My tank was literally becoming over run so I put my 7 inch Opaline Gourami in there thinking she would be able to eat some of the fry but nope... she was like a nanny fish swimming around with a swarm of fry buzzing around her. Next I got 5 Angel fish as they are supposed to eat fry... even adult fish but nope, they like the fry for friends.

I don't want to get rid of Junior but I am very tempted to just get rid of all the Guppies or.. just keep a handful of males.

SeaHorse 06-18-2011 03:56 PM

Funny in my 40 years of fish keeping I have never owned Guppies. Ever.
When we were kids I remember my Mom freaking out about the infestation of snails and she refused to let us get Guppies for the same reason...
So I always avoid the Guppie tanks at the fish store! Funny what sticks with you.

Inga 06-18-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 704685)
Funny in my 40 years of fish keeping I have never owned Guppies. Ever.
When we were kids I remember my Mom freaking out about the infestation of snails and she refused to let us get Guppies for the same reason...
So I always avoid the Guppie tanks at the fish store! Funny what sticks with you.

I was actually thinking that I WISH schools that get fish for their classrooms would get male Guppies instead of Goldfish. They are delightful fish and so lovely. They are so clean and easy to care for compared to Goldfish. They come in so many beautiful colors and combinations but you just cannot mix the sexes or you will be over run. I really like Guppies even though it wasn't my idea to get them.

I understand the childhood memories. It is the reason I don't want Goldfish and am afraid of having too many snails in a tank. They took over our tank when I was little.

Barbman 06-18-2011 07:01 PM

Congrats on being a new mom! Good luck with the fry!

lunawatsername 06-18-2011 09:13 PM

congrats! i am also looking forward to being a fishy mommy soon! (a little different though, as im going to be breeding bettas and theirs not really any guesswork when it comes to species lol) keep us posted, cant wait to hear what the little guy is :D