Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   55 Gallon Tank Questions?????????? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/55-gallon-tank-questions-7296/)

bf2king 08-02-2007 10:55 PM

55 Gallon Tank Questions??????????

I have a 55 gallon tank with a fish i would like to get ride of but i am taking care of that. The other fish in the tank are 4 silver dollars 3-4 inches in length, a Gloden Tinfoil Barb 4-5 inches long, 3 pictus catfish 2-4 inches in length, a 11 inch pleco, and a 10+ inch tinfoil barb. The problem fish is a 10 inch clown knife i know about they can grow to almost 4 foot long and am activly trying to get ride of it while i still can. I bought it on a whim when it was only 2 1/2 inches long. When i get ride of the clown knife i would like to get a black ghost knife to replace it. Is this a good idea i do not want to have to get ride of it like the clow knife. Also does any one know of any plants that i can put in this tank and have them live preferably top water plants if i get this black ghost knife. Ps has anyone heard about the recent black ghost knife spawning in a 55gallon tank with 3 knifes in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Knif...ck%20Ghost.htm

fish_4_all 08-03-2007 12:17 AM

Well since you already have a clown then I would think that the black ghost knife may fit the bill well as a replacement. Assuming all your fish are full grown (I didn;t check their adult sizes) except the pleco, I would say you are sitting right at the capacity of the tank with the ghost knife addition. The pleco may eventually outgrow the tank though so he is something else to keep an eye on.

Just be prepared to have to do some training. Like any new fish, they will have to find their niche and it could come with some hard knocks. I would also avoid any hiding spot that the pleco could knock down while your knife is inside.

St6_Devgru 08-03-2007 02:42 AM

hmm maybe put in a pond or something...thats the roblem with big fish and buying them good luck =) a four foot fish is really big

bf2king 08-03-2007 01:15 PM

a pet shop in the area that specializes in big fish has said that they would take him and they have a couple of 4 inch black ghost knifes still does anyone know of any plants that my combined school of silver dollars and tinfoil barbs could not eat i would ike to put real plants in at least as cover for the bright lights also i am only going to turn on one light at a time so that may help.

bf2king 08-03-2007 01:17 PM

also has anyone checked out the link i provided in my first post?????

I thought that was pretty cool.

Lupin 08-03-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bf2king
a pet shop in the area that specializes in big fish has said that they would take him and they have a couple of 4 inch black ghost knifes still does anyone know of any plants that my combined school of silver dollars and tinfoil barbs could not eat i would ike to put real plants in at least as cover for the bright lights also i am only going to turn on one light at a time so that may help.

Javan ferns are the only ones that I know will not be eaten by several known vegetarians. Anubias may be okay along with hornworts we'll never know when they'll last.

fish_4_all 08-03-2007 09:00 PM

Anubias and maybe Amazon Swords.

bf2king 08-03-2007 10:49 PM

I had herd about java but not about anubias or amazon swords. The pet shop i found to take my clown had in the center a big tank with saltwater rays and sharks but in the back was a 240 gallon tank containing a arrow, 2 bala sharks, a big columbian shark, a big catfish??, 6 silver dollars including red hooks and the biggest clown knife that i had ever seen. It was 7 years old and had to be 26 inches long. The suprising thing is they had it for 2 months it had been grown that big in a 55!!!!! Now that is just plain cruel and i am glad that they took him in. But back to my tank thanks for the advise and now my knife (a black ghost) is the 3rd smallest thing in my tank.

1 more question do you have any idea what their favorite food is that maybe tinfoils and silvers dont like that is not feeder fish?

Lupin 08-03-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bf2king
1 more question do you have any idea what their favorite food is that maybe tinfoils and silvers dont like that is not feeder fish?

For the knife? They will relish bloodworms as other carnivorous fish will normally do. Prawns and smelts as well.