Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   55g Cichlid Tank Project (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/55g-cichlid-tank-project-72942/)

deman3 06-17-2011 05:37 PM

55g Cichlid Tank Project

1 Attachment(s)
I completed the setup today check out the pic. The tank currently has 2 BN Plecs, 2 Otos, 1 High Fin Syndontis. I am waiting to add cichlids until I know for sure the tear down and resetup doesnt launch me into a mini-cycle. I will be testing the water daily.

Tell me what you think.

I am probably going to do Africans and have decided on Yellow Labs but not any others. Any suggestions?

gmyers0203 06-17-2011 06:07 PM

Nice rocks! :thumbsup:

JasonI 06-17-2011 10:51 PM

Very nice substrate is that eco-complete sunset gold. It really looks nice and those rocks are very nice did you get these locally, would look nice for some Hillstream fish that I'm working on in a river tank set up that I have. Good luck on your set up with whichever fish you decide to bring to this tank.

deman3 06-17-2011 11:16 PM

Substrate is el-cheapo Play Sand from my local farm store. Rocks are from a lawn and garden supply place locally. All of them tested good in the vinegar except one and its still sitting on the kitchen sink.

redchigh 06-21-2011 03:52 PM

actually, if you want to keep african rift lake cichlids, then calcerous rocks are probably fine to use.

Byron 06-26-2011 02:47 PM

Veryu authentic, Lake Malawi. Well done. You might want to stick in a couple bunches of Corkscrew Vallisneria. It grows in Lake Malawi, loves hard water, and the Mbuna graze algae from its leaves.

Byron.

deman3 06-26-2011 06:13 PM

I have lost 5 of the first six fishes. The water is testing fine both by me and the LFS. Lucky for me they have a 14 day return policy. I am getting store credit as I think its a shipment problem with their fish. None of the previous fish are exhibiting any signs of problems.

Byron 06-26-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deman3 (Post 713254)
I have lost 5 of the first six fishes. The water is testing fine both by me and the LFS. Lucky for me they have a 14 day return policy. I am getting store credit as I think its a shipment problem with their fish. None of the previous fish are exhibiting any signs of problems.

Assuming ammonia and nitrite are zero, you still can only add a fish or two at a time. You have no live plants to handle ammonia so the bacteria has to catch up with each addition, and this takes up to 24 hours. It may still be the fish, but just in case, so you know.

deman3 06-26-2011 08:51 PM

I am going to guess you are correct. The fish all lasted almost a week, unfortunately I am traveling a lot so I am only home on the weekends. This is making the problem of me not being to care for my fish, my wife has to do it. That all said, the fish I had previous to the ones that I just got all seem fine. I tested ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates yesterday and they were 0/0/5ppm respectively. I also show 7.8ph.

Byron 06-27-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deman3 (Post 713362)
I am going to guess you are correct. The fish all lasted almost a week, unfortunately I am traveling a lot so I am only home on the weekends. This is making the problem of me not being to care for my fish, my wife has to do it. That all said, the fish I had previous to the ones that I just got all seem fine. I tested ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates yesterday and they were 0/0/5ppm respectively. I also show 7.8ph.

Water seems OK. I would only add one or at most two cichlids, wait a few days, add another, etc. That should handle the nitrification issue. Beyond that, it may be something with the fish themselves. Any chance you can aquarantine in another tank, even a cycled 10g will handle one new fish at a time.