Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   San Francisco Considers Ban on Fish as pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/san-francisco-considers-ban-fish-pets-72887/)

zof 06-16-2011 07:36 PM

San Francisco Considers Ban on Fish as pets

I just saw this posted and thought I would share it with you all San Francisco Considers Ban on Goldfish as Pets to Prevent Their 'Inhumane Suffering' - FoxNews.com

What do you guys think, does the misdeeds of a few justify an outright ban for everyone?

DKRST 06-16-2011 08:40 PM

Score one for the overzealous, animal rights-activists.
You can catch a fish on a hook, scale and gut it wile alive, fry it, and eat it, but - GASP! - don't keep them as a pet...

America has flat out lost all common sense (and I'm a liberal!).
Ever seen a lion take down a zebra or a wolf kill a deer? Nature is not "kind" and that hamburger doesn't voluntarily jump into the plastic wrap in a grocery store!

P.E.T.A = "People eating tasty animals" :-) I caught a nice bass this past weekend!

Oh, this should probably go under "Off Topic Discussions!?

AbbeysDad 06-16-2011 09:15 PM

It's funny how some folks can become very passionate about stupid things.

I'm a reformed smoker, quit over 10 years ago. They're passing laws now against smoking outdoors, in public parks. There's talk of laws to ban smoking in cars. Some cities want to ban smoking everywhere cause 2nd hand cigarette smoke is evil...but the folks think nothing of the motor vehicle exhaust they inhale every day. Not likely we'll ban automobiles anytime soon!
The world is just plain nuts.

But lets remember that this came from California....where nearly all the fruits and nuts come from ;-)

Christople 06-16-2011 09:46 PM

HAHA oregon is californias neighbor, wonder what will happen here or if it will spread.

lunawatsername 06-16-2011 10:05 PM

well, im not a 'fruit' so... does that make me a nut? xDDD

i agree though, this is such a stupid idea. i mean really, they basically want it to be illegal to have pets? that will never happen. and i know that if for some crazy reason it did pass, i wouldnt be the only one with some illegal animals in my house, no way im getting rid of my little ones xDD people have such crazy ideas...:roll:

Romad 06-17-2011 06:19 AM

Yet another case of the government trying to run our lives. Thanks but no thanks. Some of us still have common sense and can decide whether to smoke, eat a McDonald's hamburger, or take care of a goldfish properly.

Grrrrrr!!!! :redmad:

Christople 06-17-2011 08:57 AM

last time I had mcdonalds was.... I don't remember. how about you guys

Romad 06-17-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 703457)
last time I had mcdonalds was.... I don't remember. how about you guys

approx. 16 years ago out of desperation while in VA.

when i was a kid i loved the filet o fish tho. once i got old enough to realize how much fat and other bad stuff was in them, that was the end of it for me.

but everything in moderation if you like the stuff. fast food once in a while is ok as long as it's not the main part of your diet.

i guess we need legislature to tell us when or if we can eat it though. GRRRRRRR!!!

Christople 06-17-2011 09:09 AM

yeah

redchigh 06-17-2011 09:23 AM

I disagree with the ban, but I think the current system does need to be improved.

Goldfish abuse should not be compared to hunting-
The death is relatively sudden, and for a purpose (food)

Keeping goldfish in a bowl should be more compared to keeping a cat or dog in a cage all of it's life.

Now I disagree with a ban, but what about a license?

Don't get me wrong, nothing expensive, nothing complicated. Just a 3-4 question quiz on goldfish, and the license is like $1 a year. The money can go to fish conservation or something.