Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Noob questions :D (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/noob-questions-d-7288/)

beetlebz 08-02-2007 04:03 PM

Noob questions :D

Sooo round about friday, I think it was, almost a week ago, I stocked up my new 30 gal aquarium. I have 2 bala sharks (i know they will get too big but i'm moving to a 80 or 90 gal when they grow up) 2 cory cats, a plec, and now 14 (it was only 6 but the other 8 looked so lonely in the pet store!) glowlight tetras. 20-40 regent filter, and a heater thats not even on atm. no plants, just plastic, and a bubbler (how can i resist a little scuba guy that blows bubbles out his ears?)

anywhoo the rank ran for about 3 weeks before I put fish in it and was crystal clear. I changed the filter when I added the fish (just the regular filter, not the bio sponge thing) and in the past week i've done 3 water changes and I just cant get the tank clean. the water is a LITTLE murky, some Crystal Clear helped alit, but if i reach in and touch the gravel or plants the debris and sediment from the gravel just goes flying and it clouds up a bit for a day. All of the plants and gravel and decorations were rinsed throughly before being placed in the tank.

do I need to do vacuum/changes more often? a bigger and/or better filter? something i can add to the water?

thanks in advance for helping my noobness out :D

leifthebunny 08-02-2007 04:20 PM

You should vacuum the substrate. The less chemicals you add to the water, the better. Try to vacuum as much substrate as you can for a 25% water change and repeat daily until the substrate is cleared up and then just make sure you vacuum as much as you can during weekly water changes.

willow 08-02-2007 04:24 PM

hello and welcome aboard :)
how did you cycle your tank to begin with ?
:)

beetlebz 08-02-2007 05:08 PM

well, willow.... if by "cycle" you mean plug it in and let it run for a few weeks...

a buddy of mine helped me get it set up, and he didn't do anything of the sort. I didnt even know you should until I started reading the forums here. so far save for a couple neon tetras who met a tragic end at the business side of the filter the feeesh seem happy. think that might be some of the problem with the cloudiness?

jones57742 08-02-2007 05:39 PM

bbz:

The "problem here" is that high concentrations of ammonia and nitrites, although toxic, may not always be lethal.

These high levels will damage the gills and internal organs of your fishies and reduce their life span significantly.

In addition (and this analogy comes from BB)
How much would anyone enjoy spending 24/7 breathing in bar which is filled with dense smoke.
That is what your fishies are feeling with high concentrations of ammonia and nitrites.

TR

beetlebz 08-03-2007 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
bbz:

The "problem here" is that high concentrations of ammonia and nitrites, although toxic, may not always be lethal.

These high levels will damage the gills and internal organs of your fishies and
TR

so im going to go ahead and assume thats a yes :) how do I go about fixing the problem, if that is in fact the problem?

Lupin 08-03-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz
so im going to go ahead and assume thats a yes :) how do I go about fixing the problem, if that is in fact the problem?

Do frequent water changes on daily basis until you get zero ammonia and nitrites. Monitor your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH regularly.

beetlebz 08-03-2007 04:50 AM

I'll pick up some test kits tomorrow and do just that. I cant thank everyone enough for all the help!

once im done with my double work shifts, maybe sunday, Ill get some pics put up if the sharks cooperate :)

Lupin 08-03-2007 05:04 AM

You're welcome.;) And welcome to Fishforum.com, by the way!:wave:

beetlebz 08-03-2007 05:24 AM

thanks! I couldnt be happier to have found this board. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion about what to do or not to do, and rarely are any of them right. A central resource full of people that know what theyre doing, are willing to help out, and enjoy it as much as I do is a jackpot.

believe it or not, I actually had a guy try telling me that if I took an hour or two to acclimate them, I could put a couple ocellaris clowns in with my bala sharks and cory cats. soo yeah Im happy to be here ;)