Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I got my 55 gallon tank today!!!

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mHeinitz57 
#1 ·
K after weeks and weeks of waiting, i finally got my 55 gallon fish tank! its really cool, i didnt setup yet cause i have to buy a powerhead and undergraver filter. and its gonna be expensive cause i want a good one, probably more than the tank. but my tank came with a filter, water conditioner, premium tropical fish food, fish keeping guide and extra setup (dont really need). then deluxe items which are: Deluxe fluorescent full light hoods (lamps included), 200 watt heater, digital thermometer and a fish net! and i got all of this for $150.00! brand new never opened. i thinks its a good deal!

#2 ·
That's nice.:) What fish are you planning to keep? Also, what substrate are you planning to use? Sand is not recommended with UG filters.

#3 ·
hmmm im not really sure :( i kind of want to have like a mix of corydoras of many kind and catfish/plecos. but then i want oscars cichlids. id really know. i think it would be cool to breed corydoras. but also it wolld be cool to have oscars. can someone help me out here :(

#4 ·
assualt911 said:
hmmm im not really sure :( i kind of want to have like a mix of corydoras of many kind and catfish/plecos. but then i want oscars cichlids. id really know. i think it would be cool to breed corydoras. but also it wolld be cool to have oscars. can someone help me out here :(
Oscars cannot be kept with cories though. How about angelfish or discus?:)

#8 ·
I wouldnt get an undergravel filter, personally I think they are more hassle than they are worth. I would add another power filter or canister filter onto the tank. If you go with a power filter get a Penguin Biowheel filter, one rated for a 50 gallon tank and use it with your aquatech as well. THe biowheel filters are some of the best on the market and not too pricey either. Canister filter is also a good option too but a bit more pricey.

#10 ·
im not saying its horrible to use but you would be a lot better off using a good power filter that has a designated biological media that remains undisturbed. THe undergravel filter holds waste and beneficial bacteria in the same place meanng that when you clean waste you remove bacteria. Its an older method of filtration and we have come a long way since then. I know some people will swear by them though but I wouldnt use one without a good biowheel filter or something and even then, the undergravel filter isn't really needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.