Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   is there portable LED power sources? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/there-portable-led-power-sources-72656/)

badxgillen 06-13-2011 05:53 PM

is there portable LED power sources?

i am a real reefer and being the salt creep i am i collect a number of invertabrates and corals..in differnt tanks peoples corals may seem differnt due to there lighting systems..i have built a Blue LED rod that i can place over or in front of corals to help make sure that i am not getting the same colormorph of the species..anyhow i am really wanting to make this portable as in without a need for an outlet.i would prefer 12 volts as these LEDs require a AC DC converter up to 12...any help here..

DKRST 06-19-2011 05:58 PM

I assume the LEDs use a power converter "brick"?
What is the DC voltage and amps of the LED's power block?

Once you know that, check with a store such as Batteries Plus and see if they have a small specialty battery that is the correct voltage. The battery MUST provide the same or greater ampere output. A higher ampere output is ok, but make absolutely certain the voltage matches! Then you'll need to cut the cord from the LED's power brick, attach some clamps on the power cord ends and clamp the ends to the battery terminals!

Hypothetically... I'm not actually an electrician ;-)

If you built your system, I bet you knew all this already! There may be a specialty adapter out there somewhere...

badxgillen 06-19-2011 10:21 PM

hmmm

well thanks for the heads up..i have tried these lights on a changeable AC DC adapter that i had spliced onto the wires of this strip of LEDs..it alowed me to lower and raise the Volts from 3-12 acting kinda like a dimmer..when i tried a 9Volt battery nothing ..but i will look into a elecronics store.

DKRST 06-19-2011 10:45 PM

I don't really know squat about LED lights, but would running them at higher-than-rated voltage might shorten the lifespan? Do they even have a rated voltage?

I know literally just a little about the ac/dc and amp issue since I bought a fish feeder from Germany and had to locate a suitable US-compatible AC/DC converter.

DKRST 06-19-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 705925)
well thanks for the heads up..i have tried these lights on a changeable AC DC adapter that i had spliced onto the wires of this strip of LEDs..it alowed me to lower and raise the Volts from 3-12 acting kinda like a dimmer..when i tried a 9Volt battery nothing ..but i will look into a elecronics store.

I'd guess the 9V did not have sufficient amperage. You can exceed the amperage safely, but too little won't usually work.