Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Otto behaving strangely? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/otto-behaving-strangely-72648/)

Annica 06-13-2011 05:00 PM

Otto behaving strangely?
 
Please help, my otto who has been hiding under my plant leaves and just been sucking the glass/rocks is now swimming to the top for air (i think). It stays there for a long time, and then it swims a bit again, but then comes back up.. Is this just normal behaviour or not? Is it just that he is used to the new tank and wants to explore/that he is not afraid of the betta anymore, (the betta isnt bullying him so thats not why)?

I do think there is enough oxygen in the tank. If it helps you answering, I have a filter and an airstone + a heater.

Oh, and he isnt floating at the top, he is laying with his mouth pointing upwards, sometimes with the mouth just over the water.. Please help, im worried now :(

AbbeysDad 06-13-2011 05:10 PM

How new is the new tank? Have you tested the water? Do your weekly water changes include gravel siphoning? What you describe are signs of potential stress and may be the result of an ammonia spike.
Based on the limited information, a partial water change of up to 50% may be in order.

Annica 06-13-2011 05:15 PM

I have tested and all the levels are ok, and it is about 4 days since they were released in the tank, the tank is now over a month since i set up. Since I put them in I have done a little 25% water change, before that I have done 4 50% water changes (before they were in). My betta is acting ok.

Byron 06-13-2011 05:31 PM

Something is wrong, but diagnosing what is not always simple. Otos do go to the surface for air, just as Corydoras and related catfish do and for the same reason; but it should be an occassional trip, not remaining at the surface.

Otos should be in small groups, minimum 3, as they are a shoaling fish, and there is "safety in numbers" plus their natural interactions. That in itself is not the issue, but it may be a contributing factor as this stresses fish and that weakens the immune system.

When the oto was introduced, was algae available? Without either common green algae or diatoms (so-called brown algae), otos frequently starve in new (to them) tanks. Having their natural food settles them more quickly.

Were there differences between the water in the tank and the water in the bag? Temperature is obvious, but even moreso what about hardness and pH? Did you slowly acclimate the fish? Otos are highly sensitive and need carefyul handling.

Last thing, otos are wild caught and frequently arrive in stores highly stressed and nearly starved. The damage this can do internally may not be externally evident until a few days or weeks later. They come from very soft and acidic waters in South America. The often harder, basic water in a fish tank is another very foreign world to the oto.

Byron.

Annica 06-13-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 699849)
Something is wrong, but diagnosing what is not always simple. Otos do go to the surface for air, just as Corydoras and related catfish do and for the same reason; but it should be an occassional trip, not remaining at the surface.

Otos should be in small groups, minimum 3, as they are a shoaling fish, and there is "safety in numbers" plus their natural interactions. That in itself is not the issue, but it may be a contributing factor as this stresses fish and that weakens the immune system.

When the oto was introduced, was algae available? Without either common green algae or diatoms (so-called brown algae), otos frequently starve in new (to them) tanks. Having their natural food settles them more quickly.

Were there differences between the water in the tank and the water in the bag? Temperature is obvious, but even moreso what about hardness and pH? Did you slowly acclimate the fish? Otos are highly sensitive and need carefyul handling.

Last thing, otos are wild caught and frequently arrive in stores highly stressed and nearly starved. The damage this can do internally may not be externally evident until a few days or weeks later. They come from very soft and acidic waters in South America. The often harder, basic water in a fish tank is another very foreign world to the oto.

Byron.

There was algae in the tank when it was introduced, I have also given him cucumber which he ate. I did test the water in the bag, and it had about the same levels as my tank did. When i intoduced them I had them in the bag floating for 10 minutes, then i put some of my water in the bag two times over a 20 minute period, then i released them into the tank. I hope that was right, because thats what they told me to do at the petshop!? My values are these:

Ph = 6.8
GH (general hardness)= 12
KH (Carbonate)= 4
NO3 (Nitrate) = 10
NO2 (Nitrite) = 0
Cl2 (Chlorine)= 0

Do you think he will be ok? I just did a 50% water change.. He is still on the top of the tank with his nose over the water :(

Byron 06-13-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annica (Post 699859)
There was algae in the tank when it was introduced, I have also given him cucumber which he ate. I did test the water in the bag, and it had about the same levels as my tank did. When i intoduced them I had them in the bag floating for 10 minutes, then i put some of my water in the bag two times over a 20 minute period, then i released them into the tank. I hope that was right, because thats what they told me to do at the petshop!? My values are these:

Ph = 6.8
GH (general hardness)= 12
KH (Carbonate)= 4
NO3 (Nitrate) = 10
NO2 (Nitrite) = 0
Cl2 (Chlorine)= 0

Do you think he will be ok? I just did a 50% water change.. He is still on the top of the tank with his nose over the water :(

I'd say you could not have done more or better. So now it is up to the fish, and I would think it was perhaps already injured. The only value I don't see is ammonia, have you tested that?

If it dies, will the store credit you? Some stores will, within a certain number of days.

Annica 06-13-2011 06:14 PM

he is now dead, my poor little guy :( Dont know what was wrong, but my betta seems to still be very much alive and is very happy.

thank you for the help :)

Inga 06-13-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 699877)
I'd say you could not have done more or better. So now it is up to the fish, and I would think it was perhaps already injured. The only value I don't see is ammonia, have you tested that?

If it dies, will the store credit you? Some stores will, within a certain number of days.


Agreed! Sometimes a fish is already sick or injured at the store or in transport and there is nothing you can do. It is sad either way.

I am sorry for your loss. Maybe the fish store will give you a trade. Were it me, I would wait for a different batch of Oto's to come in, just to play it safe. Also, I wouldn't purchase a fish that just came in that day as that is a whole lot of stress.

GwenInNM 06-13-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annica (Post 699884)
he is now dead, my poor little guy :( Dont know what was wrong, but my betta seems to still be very much alive and is very happy.

thank you for the help :)


Sorry for the death of your little guy. I now have 3 that are doing well, but lost a small one when I first introduced them. Always sad to lose them, but unfortunately they have a long, difficult journey getting to our tanks, and they are sensitive little fish.

Gwen


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2