Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   How many puffers? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/how-many-puffers-7261/)

Falina 08-01-2007 12:33 PM

How many puffers?

In a 35g tank? I am thinking about relocating and moving around the current fish and putting puffers in my 35g. I was thinking about 8. Would you say that's too many? There are so many different "rules" as to how many gallons per puffer that I don't know what to believe. The tank is planted and has bogwood and a skull for hiding places.

Thanks.

*Edit* Sorry I should have said that these would be dwarf puffers.

fish_4_all 08-01-2007 01:22 PM

Everything I have found says that 8 of them in a 35 would definately be fine. There is supposedly little worry about aggression and they seem to like being in groups, which I did not know. I would start with 2-3 unless you feel tank can handle 8 of them. Just make sure to keep an eye in ammonia and nitrites at first if you get 8 of them all at once.

Falina 08-01-2007 01:40 PM

Thanks F4A. I was probably going to get 2 batches of 4 though I may not. When I get them they will be going into a fully cycled tank as I will be moving the others out a few at a time, and when there are only a few left I will put the puffers in as I take the other out kinda thing so no chance of a mini0cycle unless something queer happens.

I have always thoguht about getting them but have never seen them about and then driving home from work a different way, because the normal road was shut, I saw a lfs and went in - low and behold - dwarf puffers so now I am seriously thinking about it.

F4A on a random note they also had some mystery snails, so I am a happy bunny!

Gump 08-01-2007 01:57 PM

I would add them all at once. they are territorial so if you put 4 in and then 4 later those new 4 could be seen as food or rivals for their already established territory and killed.

Falina 08-01-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump
I would add them all at once. they are territorial so if you put 4 in and then 4 later those new 4 could be seen as food or rivals for their already established territory and killed.

Thanks. I had hoped that all the plants and hiding places would avoid this, but I'll just go for them all then. Thanks.

Gump 08-01-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump

Thanks. I had hoped that all the plants and hiding places would avoid this, but I'll just go for them all then. Thanks.

It will help them stay out of each others site which i hear aggravates them and will alow them to have closer territories.

fish_4_all 08-01-2007 06:30 PM

Julie, what kind of lighting do you have and substrate? If you have high enough lighting and can find some in your area then I would suggest getting some Vals so that you could actually plant a series of "territories" for them to divide off into. In other words, you could plant them in rows and columns and basically divide the tank into quadrants that would allos for the ouffers to interact somewhat but also give them a place to protect.

Is just an idea but I thought it might be worth a go or at least worth mentioning

Falina 08-01-2007 06:52 PM

Thanks Gump and F4A.

I have low lighting unfortunately. The substrate is just smallish (pea sized and a bit smaller gravel).

I quite like the way it is planted just now so I hadn't planned on changing it but I will think about it now.

35g is a big tank compared to what a lot of puffers are kept in and seem to do well in. I am now thinking about getting maybe only 6, but then it might cause problems if I add another 2 at a later stage.

I think I will go for 8 and then if necessary move another 1 or 2 into my betta tank. The betta would of course need to come out but he could go into my community tank. Unless anyone has advice against this plan?

Thanks for all the advice.

tophat665 08-07-2007 07:58 PM

8 is a good number. I've seen 3 gallons/fish as a rule. I'd give a male double that. The trick is to make sure you have no fewer than 2, preferably 3, females per male. 2 males and 6 females would be ideal. 3 males and 6 females would be a maximum. 2 males and up to 8 females ought to work fine.

Falina 08-16-2007 08:22 AM

Thanks Tophat. I always have difficulty sexing fish other than livebearers but I'll try my best.

OK, I still plan to go ahead with this plan but have a new question:

I don't want to get into the habit of feeding them live foods. IMHO there is too much potential for introduction of disease if you cannot always breed the live food yourself, which I currently can't, but also don't want to do. I have checked with the lfs and just now they are readily accpetoing frozen and freeze dried foods so that's good. However, I have 3 female guppies which will soon be moved to make room for the puffers. The problem is that one has just given birth and another looks to be pregnant also. I have nowhere to raise the fry and the tank as you know will quickly become over populated if I leave them there. The tank is heavily planted so I expect a number to survive.

I expect the puffers would happpily eat the fry, but my worry is that if I give them this, will they stop accepting frozen foods? I wouldn't often be feeding them this, it would just be a treat here and there but I don't want them to get into the frame of mind that they will be getting live food on a regular basis and so stop eating the frozen.

Does anyone have any ideas whether they will happily go back to frozen brine shrimp etc even after getting a taste for live foods?

Thanks.