Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I've got this steak mark on the outside of my aquarium!

5K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Mating Slinkys 
#1 ·
There is a streak mark on my aquarium. It looks sort of oily. I think I got it from cleaning the tank. If I get it wet, it disappears, and when it drys, it becomes visible. I cleaned my aquarium with vinegar and bleach. And I gave it a good rinse. However, I tried using vinegar and rubbing alcohol to clean it, but no luck. Maybe you guys can help me!

See less See more
#3 ·
First, quit using bleech anywhere near your tank. It can leech through seems faster than anything because the chlorine gas will go wherever it wants. Stick with Windex, ammonia or just water. Once drop of bleech in a tank could wipe your bacteria almost instantly.

IF it is mineral buildup it will come off with a razor blade. Hold the blade flat on the glass and scrape it down to see if it scrapes off. If it doesn't then we are back to square one.

It could be a simple play of the light from the camera though. Take a picture dry when you can see it but also take a picture of it wet. See if there is a difference if the scrape doesn't work.

#4 ·
I could see it with the light. And I'm sure it could be bleach as well as mineral deposits. I scraped some of the white stuff off, but the rest seems to be chemical or whatever.

I used bleach to clean out the aquarium from the previous owner. They haven't cleaned it in months, and it was in way worse condition. There were bacterial colonies everywhere, I was convinced there was E-Coli on it. But yeah, I cleaned it with bleach. What do you think I can do.

Could it be a water stain?

It really sounds like this: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf351538.tip.html

#8 ·
Try using baking soda and ammonia in a thick pasty mix with some sort of scrubber. It works to remove lime scale and even odors in sinks and when i used it the chrome was even polished without scrubbing.

It could well be bleech residue that reacted from the tank being so cruddy when you cleaned it. It was ok to use bleech to clean the tank so you didn't do bad there. I hope I didn't come across too strong about the bleech but I have seen too many tanks become tombs after someone cleaned them with bleech with fish in the tanks. But it does sound like you have done everything right so no worries.

Is there and chance that some of the color is actually on the inside of the tank? It looks like the oily film I get on the top of my tanks from nitrates which go away after about 2 weeks of keeping up with maintenance. I have never seen it on the glass but it could be the cause.

#9 ·
I may be wrong but it looks like some type of "Oil Stain".
Maybe just putting some good dish detergent like "Dawn" on it and letting it sit for awhile to break up the oil(should work if thats what this is).

#10 ·
fish_4_all said:
Is there and chance that some of the color is actually on the inside of the tank? It looks like the oily film I get on the top of my tanks from nitrates which go away after about 2 weeks of keeping up with maintenance. I have never seen it on the glass but it could be the cause.
Thanks for the info. And it's on the outside. Whenever I get the outside wet, it disappears. So if it's on the inside as well, then it would be long gone! I have been told to use baking soda and ammonia. And steal wool as well.

#11 ·
hi
what about turning the tank around,if at all possible ?
and just have tall plants at the back to hide it,
if you are unable to remove the stane.
maybe.

#13 ·
The only other thing i can think of is the glass has been heat heated with a blowtorch and the glass has been tempered which could be a very bad thing but I really doubt it.

As for a scubber, with the baking soda and vinegar you could use a sponge.

Other than that I am at a loss. I have never had anything on glass withstand a good scraping with a paint scraper razor blade, not even oils.

#14 ·
I tried using a razor blade, and actually, it looks like there was something taped onto the tank. Maybe a background? Anyway, it was sticky when I moved the blade across the more heavily effected areas. What do you suggest to remove stickiness cause by tape?

#15 ·
Duct Tape! the absolute best sticky remover out there! Take about 6 inches of it, make a loop and use your hand to push it against the sticky areas and peel it back. If that doesn't take it off then just be pateint and use the razor blade and eventually it will all come off.

#20 ·
API makes a product that is aquarium safe. I can't remember the name of it though. Also there is a product called Goo Gone that may help. It is very aromatic and you may want to turn off the air to your tank when using it as I don't know how it would affect the inhabitants of your tank.

#23 ·
Ilya said:
I tried using a razor blade, and actually, it looks like there was something taped onto the tank. Maybe a background? Anyway, it was sticky when I moved the blade across the more heavily effected areas. What do you suggest to remove stickiness cause by tape?
if you can get a hold of it eucalyptus oil is good for getting sticky residue off stuff. once again i wouldnt be keen on getting it in the tank so just put a bit onto a soft cloth and rub it onto the "mark"

#25 ·
If it is tape sticky stuff, then i always found that nail varnish remover works as a brilliant solvent for that stuff. Not sure how tan safe it is though (well, i assume it's bad for the fishes, but i don't know if it works like bleach and penetrates the seams/seals) so i'd be careful of splashing it around. it might work on an oily stain too, as it's a light alcohol i believe, so might lift it off. not sure of my chenistry there....

Hope you gets it sorted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.