Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   I need a 'Centerpiece'... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/i-need-centerpiece-72493/)

Micromax 06-11-2011 11:04 AM

I need a 'Centerpiece'...

Hi,
As you can probably tell im new to this site. I have currently got a 60gallon community tank which houses,

Guppies;
Male x2
Feme x2 ( other three died a while back )

Mollys x5

Danios;
Leopard x6
Pearl x2

Plattys x 3

Tetras;
Neon x10
Black x3

And a plec. I have a small amount of java moss growing on rocks at one end and various artificial plants in background and mid ground. There are also a couple of hiding places amongst two ornaments.

I am after a 'centerpiece' to show off my tank but i dont know wot would be compatable or if i am overstocking? There still seems to be loads of room and all my fish are happy?

PLEASE HELP......

deman3 06-11-2011 12:58 PM

Without knowing what filter you are using, my suggestion would be any species of Rainbowfish. I had some beautiful Cairns awhile back but I love the Boesemans. Also it would depend on what filter(s) in whether you are overstocked or not. With the proper filter you have plenty of room(in my opinion, and according to aqadvisor.com) to add a centerpiece fish or 4.

Micromax 06-11-2011 01:04 PM

I am using fluval 4+ (two of) there is a couple of airstones aswell ( not sure that they matter). Would you recomend any parricular filter? Rainbowfish would look nice.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

deman3 06-11-2011 01:33 PM

I don't have enough experience with filters to recommend one over the other. The ones you have should work just fine. What is your location? I am looking to get rid of most of my fish so I can move to a Cichlid tank. I have two rainbows left(as well as other breeds) and would be willing to let them go on the cheap. Both are approximately 2.5 to 3 inches by my estimation. One is a Cairns and the other is 1 solid gold color but I forget the name. Just some advice, you will need about 5 rainbows to keep them happy, and according to aqadvisor you have plenty of room both filtration and stocking wise. Let me know if you want the two rainbows and we can see what we can work out.

redchigh 06-11-2011 01:49 PM

To be honest, danios and tetras need to be in groups of at least 6.

Please fill out the groups.

Also, what's your PH? Then I could reccomend a fish.

Micromax 06-11-2011 01:53 PM

Thats very kind of you. Im in hyde, manchester. I am certainly going to have a look for some rainbowfish. What are the more popular/colourfull species?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Micromax 06-11-2011 01:59 PM

Hi redchigh.

My PH is at the minute 7.2. I try to maintain it around 7. Should i be keeping it at a different level or is this ok?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

deman3 06-11-2011 02:02 PM

Personally, I like the Boesmani, Praecox, and Red Irian. I also like the coloring on my Cairns but I cannot locate a good picture to show it.

Micromax 06-11-2011 02:04 PM

I hear a lot about the boesmani. That seems to be a favourite for a few. I look into it. If you could post pictures that would be great.

Thanks again....
Posted via Mobile Device

redchigh 06-11-2011 02:18 PM

Rainbow fish do best in groups... You don't have room for a group.