Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   how much do Assassin Snails generally cost (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/how-much-do-assassin-snails-generally-72388/)

MrEd 06-09-2011 05:23 PM

how much do Assassin Snails generally cost

I'd like to get a bunch for my 35G to help clean up the massive snail outbreak, but don't know how many I should get, or how much they generally cost.

Thanks!
Ed

GwenInNM 06-09-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEd (Post 696653)
I'd like to get a bunch for my 35G to help clean up the massive snail outbreak, but don't know how many I should get, or how much they generally cost.

Thanks!
Ed

I've seen them for about $3.99. I can't tell you how many you should buy. Perhaps just start with one. I'm not sure how fast they breed, so you could end up with too many of them. I've never seen them at the big fish chain stores, so you may have better luck at a reputable fish store that could advise you if you don't find out here.

MrEd 06-09-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 696704)
I've seen them for about $3.99. I can't tell you how many you should buy. Perhaps just start with one. I'm not sure how fast they breed, so you could end up with too many of them. I've never seen them at the big fish chain stores, so you may have better luck at a reputable fish store that could advise you if you don't find out here.

Thanks!

wow, that's kind of pricey :)

I'll look around for it then. I've read that they consume only about 1 snail every 3 days or so, so I'll probably get a few.

brownmane 06-09-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 696704)

My lfs sells them for $3.00 ea...I think since the price is listed as 2 for $6.00 (sometimes that is a special rate). I have a big chain store within 30 kms so I rarely go there, but strangely enough, I was just there this week and I noticed that it had no assassin snails. Hmmm?

MrEd 06-10-2011 02:23 AM

found an LFS here which sells them for $2 each. seemed like a good deal, so I bought 10.

Let the feasting begin :)

Romad 06-10-2011 07:11 AM

Nom nom nom :)

SinCrisis 06-16-2011 12:28 PM

I heard that they eat 1 snail a day... a friend of mine has a few and they breed very little in his tank.

MrEd 06-16-2011 12:36 PM

they're actually doing a very slow job :)

even with 10 assassins, I don't think they can keep up with the reproduction rate of the ramshorns. I think I still need to pick them off myself with the lettuce trick.

Inga 06-16-2011 02:11 PM

I had a huge outbreak of the little devils myself. I got about 15 Assassins and they did an amazing job in the 25 gallon tank. They must have been starving when I first put them in there because they really went to town on the ramshorns. The next morning the floor of the aquarium was loaded with empty shells. They have since slowed down but the Assassins have tripled in size now too. You got a good deal. Here they were $5.99 a piece. They breed very very slowly. I now have about 4 little babies that I have found thus far. They won't take over like the Ramshorns do.

MrEd 06-16-2011 02:51 PM

what do they eat when they run out of snails to feed on?