Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Need your knowledge for stocking my new tank!

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Freddiesbuns 
#1 ·
I've just got a new 50 gallons tank to switch my old 33g with. I don't plant to change my existing population, just complete it a bit, but I'm not sure about the stocking with my new filter. My current population is 10 emperor tetras, 6 cories melanistius and 1 old bolivian ram who can't tolerate any other rams (seriously. I bought him 6 females. All died.)

I plan to add a male and female Apistogramma Agassizii flame red and 2 more emperor tetras. I would also love to introduce algae eaters, either 6 otos or some ancistrus. I would prefer the ancistrus honestly but I was told they are complete poop machines and I'm not sure my filtration would be enough to block the barrage of poo :p In your experience would that be do-able or should I stick with the otos? Also would I still be able to add 2 cories with that population or is it too much?

#2 ·
I've just got a new 50 gallons tank to switch my old 33g with. I don't plant to change my existing population, just complete it a bit, but I'm not sure about the stocking with my new filter. My current population is 10 emperor tetras, 6 cories melanistius and 1 old bolivian ram who can't tolerate any other rams (seriously. I bought him 6 females. All died.)

I plan to add a male and female Apistogramma Agassizii flame red and 2 more emperor tetras. I would also love to introduce algae eaters, either 6 otos or some ancistrus. I would prefer the ancistrus honestly but I was told they are complete poop machines and I'm not sure my filtration would be enough to block the barrage of poo :p In your experience would that be do-able or should I stick with the otos? Also would I still be able to add 2 cories with that population or is it too much?
If your ram would not tolerate the other rams you introduced , could be he/she won't take to the apisto's but with a bit more room in the 50 gal as opposed to the 33 gal (too small for more than one ram) perhaps they will all have enough space assuming you provide areas for them to feel secure
(rock formations,caves,etc).
Unless you have lot's of algae which you shouldn't in such a new tank,, I would not recommend the otocinclus.Algae is their primary food and they do poorly in newly established tanks in my expieriences with them.
A Bristlenose should be fine for your tank. They are not so dependent on algae and will eat anything they can find.I would however include some driftwood and offer the bristlenose vegetable matter twice a week or more in the form of zucchinni,cucumber,romain lettuce,sweet red pepper,melon, and or algae wafer's.

#3 ·
To be fair the ram is old and has had a few death scares so he might not be there by the time I do the switch as I almost euthanized him a few times :/

I was often told Bristlenoses shouldn't be kept alone but in pair or trio. Would I have enough space for a couple?

#4 · (Edited)
I was often told Bristlenoses shouldn't be kept alone but in pair or trio. Would I have enough space for a couple?
Bristlenose pleco males are territorial, so in smaller tanks a single fish is preferable, unless you can be certain of a male/female pair. If your 50g is 4 feet there is room for more, provided you have plenty of wood and plants to define territories and provide them suitable "caves." They like to choose their own I believe.:) Check the profile for more info on this, including sexing fish.

#6 ·
Do you want the fish because you like the fish as a fish, or do you have or forsee an algae problem? It's just my personal thing, but I never acquire "algae" eating fish unless I like the fish for itself and it happens to eat algae. BN for instance will turn to plants for food many times.

#7 ·
As I wrote in my other topic on my algae invasion, I'm not a fan of acquiring fish to get rid of a problem instead of finding the source of the problem (although to be honest I've asked in 4 differents forums for help just in case and still haven't found the source with all the help I've got. It's freaky algae from Hell).

Also I doubt 2 bristlenoses would get rid of the amount of algae I've got in my 33, let alone a 50g should it follow in there!

#8 ·
As I wrote in my other topic on my algae invasion, I'm not a fan of acquiring fish to get rid of a problem instead of finding the source of the problem (although to be honest I've asked in 4 differents forums for help just in case and still haven't found the source with all the help I've got. It's freaky algae from Hell).

Also I doubt 2 bristlenoses would get rid of the amount of algae I've got in my 33, let alone a 50g should it follow in there!
They will only eat common green algae and diatoms. Most so-called algae eating fish are very particular as to the type of algae they will eat. And common algae is never a problem, so I suspect you have something else that they wouldn't touch anyway.

#10 ·
Oh dear I checked, I had no idea Bristlenose reproduced that much. I already have enough spawning from my killies and Emperor tetras, I really don't want to have to deal with baby Bristlenose every month or so. I'm thinking about either getting only one, or simply adding more cories. The second option would be the simplest I guess!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.