Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   How do I start a 120 gallon saltwater aquarium? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/how-do-i-start-120-gallon-723/)

Javier 10-04-2006 02:39 PM

How do I start a 120 gallon saltwater aquarium?

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this. Here is my story, I've always been facinated by aquariums. I've been thinking of buying one for the past year or so, but always held back b/c of the cost and also b/c first I wanted to get a bigger house. Last weekend I bought what a thought was about a 30 to 40 gallon aquarium at a yard sale. The lady gave it to me for $15 dollars, so I thought it was a win, win situation. After going to pet stores and measuring my tank I found out that I'm the new owner of a 125 gallon tank. Now, I'm getting worried b/c I read about how delicate fish are; however, I'm a man, so I want the best thing, which I believe is a saltwater aquarium. Unfortunatly I don't know very much about starting an aquarium so I desperatly need your help. Very first mistake I made was to get the aquarium home and use soap to wash it. The lady that had it before me had Rabbits in it, so it's stunk, plus I didn't know that I was not to use soap. Can I still use the tank and if so, how can I make sure that it doesn't have any harmfull chemical? Also when I do a leak test do I have to fill the tank all the way up, and what can I do with 125 gallons of water afterwards? I would hate to waste all that water. Guys, you're going to have to take me by the hand like a baby and help me be succesfull at this. :oops:

Rebecca 10-04-2006 02:55 PM

Well, I don't know the answer to your questions, but I just want to say welcome to the forum! It's nice to have you. :D

usmc121581 10-04-2006 03:57 PM

Since you wash it out with soap you want to make sure that there isn't any soap left. I have never ran into this situation before but I would clean it out every chance I got with just a wet rag and a hose. Maybe someone else has dealt with this before. Now to see if it has leaks. Check to see if any of the sealent around the edges doesn't have any crack's in it, none of it is missing, that the glass isn't chipped in any way, or that there isn't any cracks in the glass(like stress fractures) You can fill it up 1/2 way and that should be good enough. I would say that the water that you use to check for durability you could use to start the saltwater tank, but that wouldn't be a good Idea. After all this is complete you need to decide which way you want to go Fish only saltwater or a reef tank. Everything is the same for the equipment side, But its the lighting and the chemicals you need for the reef setup. Well welcome to the site and we will do our best to help you though this process. :D

joeshmoe 10-04-2006 04:01 PM

you can use the tank still but you have to really clean good $15 thats a great price

usmc121581 10-04-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshmoe
you can use the tank still but you have to really clean good $15 thats a great price

I wasn't sure because I never clean any tanks with cleaner even if the won't use them, because you never know when you will again.

joeshmoe 10-04-2006 04:13 PM

i did once when i didn t no anything about fish. i just had to wash it fealy well to get it out. need to use some warm water and just keep on flushing the tank out.

Javier 10-04-2006 04:23 PM

Reef Tank?

What exacly is a reef tank? Is that the same thing as live rock?

Thanks alot, you guys have been very helpful so far.

usmc121581 10-04-2006 04:33 PM

Live rock can be used in both a reef take looks like mine.

Mike 10-04-2006 04:35 PM

Hi Javier,

Reef tanks typically mean that invertebrates such as coral, sea horses, etc. will be living in the tank with or without fish.

Javier 10-04-2006 04:48 PM

I might try coral in mine, but definetly not sea horses. I've read that they are very difficult to keep, and for a begginer like me I would think is definetly a recipe for disaster. I will clean the tank over the next few days, do the leak test, and if it passes all that I will ask you about the next step. I know this will take a long time if I want to do it right, so I'll let you know what the results are, and ask you more questions when I'm ready. Once again thanks for all of your help.