Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Neon Nonsense! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/neon-nonsense-72290/)

AbbeysDad 06-08-2011 10:07 AM

Neon Nonsense!

So in a previous thread I described how my small school (6) of Neons would school nicely, but at times chase and butt each other. At first I thought this was play, but later realized it was more likely aggression. (I'll spare you the part where I never really wanted Neons, but Abbey did :???: ). Well, it was suggested here or at the LFS that maybe I should increase the school. So I now have nine (9) Neon Tetras that sometimes school nicely and other times attack each other just like before! (Lil buggers)
('why can't we all just get along')
Jeez.

SinCrisis 06-08-2011 10:59 AM

aggression like that is normal among neons.

AbbeysDad 06-08-2011 11:28 AM

hmm...I didn't know that. It seems troubling when fish 'attack' each other.
I think I'll add some Angels and see what happens - lol, just kidding!

SinCrisis 06-08-2011 12:15 PM

well as long as you dont see actual damage, aggression like that is normal, my pristellas do that all the time, they pick on eachother and eventally 2 or 3 of them separate from teh group and swim to the far side of the tank and then come back and they shoal for a while, then they argue and different fish get sent away, and return...

Byron 06-08-2011 01:48 PM

Assuming what you are witnessing is the natural behaviour of all characins--what i like to term "sparring"--at least it means they are healthy and "happy." There should not be any physical damage as was already mentioned; missing tails, fins, scales, eyes, etc is a very different matter and not normal, thus a sign of stress from something.

AbbeysDad 06-08-2011 01:59 PM

No, there has not been any sign of physical damage, just some pretty robust sparing. And these little guys are like greased lightning when they zip around at each other.
Nothing I can do really, but watch and wonder. Seems odd to see them all swimming together at some times and then knocking each other around at others. Oh well....so it goes.

Byron 06-08-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 695687)
No, there has not been any sign of physical damage, just some pretty robust sparing. And these little guys are like greased lightning when they zip around at each other.
Nothing I can do really, but watch and wonder. Seems odd to see them all swimming together at some times and then knocking each other around at others. Oh well....so it goes.

That behaviour is the joy of the aquarist. I cannot describe how overjoyed I am when I see this in my tanks. Hours of free entertainment from the always incredible world of nature.

SinCrisis 06-08-2011 02:45 PM

well its not exactly free... taking good care of the fish takes a lot of work! :-)

Byron 06-08-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 695722)
well its not exactly free... taking good care of the fish takes a lot of work! :-)

True, very true. But it still surpasses most of what is on TV in value.;-)

SomeDudeAtHome 06-08-2011 09:21 PM

I see the same thing with my black widow tetras. They typically don't school together they more stay on their own in a certain part of the tank but once in a while one will swim incredibly fast towards another then go away. It's amazing haha. They never have torn fins or anything either so I always figured it was natural and I'm glad you started this thread so now I know it is. Like Byron said hours of free entertainment.