Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   how oftan do i change it (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-oftan-do-i-change-7212/)

PLECO 07-30-2007 10:05 AM

how oftan do i change it

i was wondering how oftan i change a filter because i think i need to change it now because it is startin to smell im changing the water 2day

JouteiMike 07-30-2007 10:12 AM

Are referring to completely getting a new filter or changing the media inside the filter.

What type of filter do you have an what do you have in it?
Do you just use filter floss? Or do you have carbon, ceramic rings, sponges, bio-balls...ect

A lot of filters indicate when they need to be changed, by water overflowing out of the intake chamber. But it really depends on how stocked your tank is, how many filters you have, and what the filters are rated for.

PLECO 07-30-2007 10:50 AM

its a regent filter that came with the tank im was reffering to changeing the media cardridg theres carbon in the cardrige i dont add any thing. the name of the cardeige is aqua-tech
ez cgange cardrige should i change it every month

leifthebunny 07-30-2007 11:09 AM

Do you know what the source of the smell is? Planted tanks, for example, will naturally have an earthy smell to them while overfeeding can create excess mold which causes a horrible smell which the carbon will mask.

PLECO 07-30-2007 11:38 AM

no its just a ten gallon with a betta and i did have 3 ghoust shrimp but i moved em out . and the smell is going away after i cleand the gravel and replaced 50 % water after cleaning it and yes it was to much water i finaly read some more cleaning tips and i am only soppos to do 20 pecent changes after the clean so when i sifon it out i have to stop at 20 percent even if not clean and do 20 mor to talaly clean the next day . should i do this. and i think the smell was just some decomposing food wast at the bottem

mHeinitz57 07-30-2007 02:08 PM

generally you change carbon every month. In the case of a regent filter, that means changing the whole cartridge once a month. The filters should be rinsed on a weekly or bi-weekly basis though because the waste that builds up on filters gradually breaks down and works its way back into the tank. In tanks with a higher ammonia load (overstocked, goldfish or messy eaters) the carbon should be changed more often. In your tank I would say replace it every month tho.

leifthebunny 07-30-2007 06:32 PM

If your tank is really dirty, you will want to do a 25% change, wait a day or two and do another 25% change. You can swing up to 40% or even 50% if need be, but the more water change, the bigger the risk of shocking your fish, even if it is going to cleaner water. The big thing is you need to locate where the bulk of molding/decomposing food is so you can vacuum as much up as possible.

PLECO 07-30-2007 09:31 PM

thanx for the info but the food is everywere so would puting in a bottem feeder like a cory help di reduce some of the wasted food

mHeinitz57 07-31-2007 06:48 AM

a pair of cories does a great job at keeping uneaten food off the bottom of the tank but remember they produce waste as well. THe best thing to do is just get good cleaning and feeding habits. Siphon the tank to make sure uneaten food is removed and then cut down on feeding and then problem is solved :-)