Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Please help! Nitrates high (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/please-help-nitrates-high-72045/)

yodapoolman 06-04-2011 07:47 PM

Please help! Nitrates high

2 Attachment(s)
So I did a 50% water change less than 12 hours ago. I've noticed this evening my fish are breathing particularly heavy. Also, the BW tetras were hanging out at the top gasping for air. I've even noticed my clown pleco coming up for air a couple times!

Just now:

PH 7.6
ammonia 0-0.25 (which I've determined is from the tap water)
nitrite 0
nitrate 10-20 (!!) I listed parameters this morning here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-so-far-72013/ and for this recent water change I followed Byron's advice about shaking bottle #2 for 2 minutes so I'm at a loss...

Attached are pics of aquarium as a whole: is this not planted enough?

Also, I've raised the spigot of my outflow from the canister filter up a little bit for a little more water agitation. The manual said not to have the thing fully out of the water.

As I'm typing this my BW tetras are practically water-skiing along the surface gulping air and my cories are going nuts (up and down). Please help! :(

yodapoolman 06-04-2011 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic of tetras gasping

yodapoolman 06-04-2011 08:04 PM

Trying to read up on the forum, and I wonder if I've inhibited my plants from absorbing nitrate when I added liquid fertilizer?

zof 06-04-2011 08:09 PM

If you have an air stone go ahead and throw it in, other wise I don't know why your canister filter would tell you not to pull the outflow out of the water but if you think it should be ok I would do that just to get some oxygen exchange. Your not heavily planted so some way of adding oxygen should still be necessary.

Other then that a few questions, how many fish do you have in this tank and how warm is the water currently.

And 10-20 nitrates is not horribly bad, and until your plants take off don't expect it alot better.

zof 06-04-2011 08:11 PM

Also do the 24 hour test on your water, if you have a large pH shift because of co2 then it might be necessary to aerate your water before the water change.

Christople 06-04-2011 08:15 PM

yeah I was gonna say 10-20... not crazy. As zof said put a air pump in there and I suspect oxygen depletion which coiencides with the high temp.

Beaches 06-04-2011 08:17 PM

I agree that the nitrates are within safe levels, but if the fish are gasping at the surface I would immediately do another 50% water change.

Quote:

Parameters June 4 (after 50% water change): PH 7.6; Ammonia 0-0.25 (probably from tap); Nitrite 0; Nitrate 5-10 (not sure why nitrate is so high right after water change. I had tested before water change and reading was way higher. Maybe I'm not testing correctly? Using API Freshwater Master Test kit)
Quote from your other thread.....the water change did work if your readings were higher before the w.change.

I don't know enough about fertilisers to comment, but perhaps it is possible. Stupid question, but did you remember to add dechlorinator when you did the w.change?

yodapoolman 06-04-2011 08:22 PM

Thanks for putting me at ease, zof! Temp is 76-68 and I just raised the outflow a little higher. Still under, but there's definitely the "trickle" sound now and agitation on top.

I have 5 Black Widow tetras, 4 serpae tetras, 3 emerald cory catfish, and a clown pleco (13 total). To me, that doesn't seem over-stocked for a 56g column.

Christople 06-04-2011 08:27 PM

by 68 I hope you meant 78 and I hope your problem gets better

yodapoolman 06-04-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaches (Post 692686)
I agree that the nitrates are within safe levels, but if the fish are gasping at the surface I would immediately do another 50% water change.

Quote from your other thread.....the water change did work if your readings were higher before the w.change.

I don't know enough about fertilisers to comment, but perhaps it is possible. Stupid question, but did you remember to add dechlorinator when you did the w.change?

I did add the dechlorinator. I use the hose that connects to the sink. I'll make sure to do the 24 hr tap water test. Would it be beneficial (or is there such a product) to use something that dechlorinates, and neutralizes everything all at once?

Just in the past few minutes after raising the outflow, I haven't seen the tetras at the top like they were before. Their mouths are still moving like they just swam a marathon tho...

Thanks everyone, for the quick replies!