Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Your thoughts on my tank(s) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/your-thoughts-my-tank-s-72042/)

jeppun21 06-04-2011 08:07 PM

Your thoughts on my tank(s)

So i finally established all the fish i want in my tanks and i want to knw ur guys thoughts on them

My first tank is a 14 gallon biocube freshwater
all the water levels and chemistry on my tank are good and i do a weekly water change of about 30% and i also add some nourishment supplement for the plants so they can grow..

its heavly planted..
i have some:
java fern
money wort
driftwood

for fish i have:
6 neon tetras
1 whiptail catfish
1 mystery snail

Question: Can i add anymore in my tank? If so what kind of fish do u guys suggest...

For my next tank i have a 10 gallon aqueon tank with a divider.. so its 5 gallons on each side

Side 1
fish i have in one side are:
1 ghost shrimp
1 female betta

Side 2
1 dwarf puffer
1 ghost shrimp(just testing out if the puffer would be aggressive towards the shrimp) So far hes alive :)

Question: Was wonder with my betta can i add another fish or would adding another on overstock it..

For my dwarf puffer is their any other fish i can add to it or should i just keep it solo or add another dwarf puffer?

Please reply and give me you inputs :) good or bad are welcome

THanks
jep

Boredomb 06-04-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeppun21 (Post 692635)

Side 2
For my dwarf puffer is their any other fish i can add to it or should i just keep it solo or add another dwarf puffer?

In 5 gallons I wouldn't add another puffer. There is not enough room for them to get away from each other. They can be aggressive towards each other. The only other fish I have heard you can put in a tank with a DP is an Oto catfish though only being 5 gallons once again not sure there would be enough space for them both.

jeppun21 06-05-2011 03:14 AM

for dwarf puffers should i have plants or are the aquarium ornaments ok?

jeppun21 06-05-2011 03:15 AM

For my tank with my 6 neons 1 mystery snail and 1 whiptail catfish was wondering if a dwarf gournami will do well with them

thanks
jep

Byron 06-05-2011 01:37 PM

I agree that the 10g is done as is, fish wise. DP's need more space for 2, a full 10g minimum. Also, I would not add to the Betta side. And yes, puffers absolutely love plants, they occur in plant-thick waters.

The 14g has some options. One is another couple of neons; six in the usual "minimum" but more is always better with shoaling fish, so if you like the neons you could get 2 or 3 more. Alternatively, with the 6 neons, another small shoaling fish would work, something like Ember Tetra or one of the smaller Cyprinids (rasbora), a group of 6 (or more if very small like Embers, 7-8 of them). I would not add a Dwarf Gourami. If you want gourami, the ideal would be a group (3-5) of the pygmy sparkling Gourami. Check the profile.

Byron.

jeppun21 06-05-2011 06:13 PM

Thank u byron.. Was wondering why wouldnt a dwarf gournami work? And i was looking for the sparkling gournami i couldnt find it at any LFS was wonder do u knw of any good online store to buy fish?

Thank u
Jep

ashokantony 06-05-2011 07:14 PM

Not sure what your plans are for the whiptail catfish. Those guys go on to be about 6 " in length and hence 14 gal would not be ideal for him.

You can add 2 or 3 more of the neons to make it a bigger group. If you do move your catfish to a bigger tank, it will open up more options.

jeppun21 06-06-2011 03:27 AM

If i were to move the whiptail what would be ur suggestion on a substrate fish or on another fish?

Thanks jep
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 06-06-2011 09:56 AM

If you get the true Rineloricaria parva as in our profile, it is fine in a 14g. While it may attain 5-6 inches, it is so very thin you hardly notice it. I've had this fish for many years, they are interesting and very peaceful. And they eat common algae, which is a bonus.

The dwarf gourami is problematic. Check the profile.

QuikDrawMcRaw 06-06-2011 04:12 PM

How about a pair of cape lopez lyretail killifish? They're small, (under 2in), peaceful, not shy and beautiful to look at