Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I just made the cutest little discovery in my tank.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Inga 
#1 ·
I was just shutting the lights off in my big tank but of course, I had to take a little look first. Tonight I discovered the cutest little baby Assassin snail. :-D I am hopeful that they will start doing in the ramshorns so the fact that they are reproducing to me, is a good sign.

I know they breed slowly and that is a good thing, I don't want to trade one infestation for another but I was just excited seeing that cute little baby. A few week ago I discovered a few baby Pepper Corie's, tonight a baby Assassin. Must be something in the water. ha ha

#5 ·
As long as i'm not drinking your water LOL.....

That's so great about the babys. Especially the corys. How are they doing?

They are getting BIG. One of them is almost as big as the smallest of the adults. The other one is still significantly smaller but still growing fast. it is amazing to me how much difference a day makes. Heck, how much difference a day makes in terms of changes in the tank. I take it by the breeding that there is a sense of calm in the tank and everything is balanced as it should be.

Well, maybe the food source is still high (too many Ramshorns) hence the Assassins breeding. lol

I wish I could send you some once my tank is pest snail free. Then again, I best hold on to them for awhile yet as I will get a few new plants and don't wish to start all over with the pests. Just in case there are any hitchhikers I will wait awhile.

#6 ·
Alright... So I THOUGHT that Assassins bred slowly. I was told by so many different sources that they will only have one baby a year. Someone gave me false information. Upon much closer inspection this morning, I see at least 15 babies in there. They are so tiny yet but I know snails grow quickly. I am not worried about a take over as it has taken months for them to have this many but... it is more then I was told would happen.

I suspect there are people around that want these snails too. I know the one store here that carries them seems to always have a hard time keeping them in stock. Guess I will be trading more then Guppies to the fish store.

#8 ·
Right? I drink it too and sadly, nothing like that happened to me.

Maybe it is the 2 times a week 50% water changes? If that keeps up, I might have to cut back a little. I also noticed the Cories acting strangly too and wondered about more Cory babies showing up. I didn't see any eggs but then, the plants in the tank make it hard to see most places in the tank. We shall see.

#11 ·
well they lay eggs, and I doubt they lay singles...

I think it's just rare for more than one to survive... (Maybe fish or other snails like to eat their eggs?

I need some ramshorns too.. lol. If you have enough, I could trade guppies in the future.

Trade Guppies for Ramshorns? NO WAY!!! I keep having to get rid of Guppies on a regular basis as it is. ha ha I think I may have finally got rid of all the females so now... Hopefully there will be no more babies in the tank. What do you do with the Ramshorns? I am assuming feeding them to a Puffer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.