Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Update on 56g column

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·

I removed the pirate scene to add the driftwood and live plants after reading on this wonderful forum about the benefits of live plants.

Please forgive the floss holding the plants lol. I couldn't find my fishing line and I didn't want yarn or whatever to erode too quickly.

If you could check out the plants, especially the Java Fern and Java Moss, to see if they're healthy. They seem to be turning slightly brown (dunno if it's algae) and not wrapping around the wood. They've been in 2-3 weeks. The plants in the back have tabs in the substrate (probably close to a week now), and I'm dosing Aqueon Comprehensive (I'll be getting Flourish once this runs out) a couple times a week.

Also, right around the 3 min mark is one of my smaller cories. Does he seem to be breathing faster than he should? Sometimes I see the two smaller ones breathing like that.

If you have any other suggestions or constructive criticism, lay it on me! :)

(The specs should be fairly up-to-date on my profile.)

#2 ·
Looks cool! I like the moss on the wood. Don't worry if your plants don't grow or brown to start with; they often take time to settle in and grow. My java moss took months to grow properly. My only crit is that you have wisteria close to the front, which will grow very tall and is therefore best kept at the back of the tank, otherwise it will block everything out

#3 ·
Thanks sik80! I guess my LFS told me the wrong scientific name of the wisteria, so thanks for pointing out the common name (I've since updated my profile). The pics from this forum helped confirm that too. Because those most likely have a root system going now under the substrate, is there a "proper" way to replant them? Just pull 'em and make a new hole in the substrate and push the roots down and then cover? I don't want to damage the roots or anything.

If anything, keeping fish will help me gain patience LOL! With the exception of the Giant Val (1 week), the others have been about 2 weeks+. I've actually trimmed the cabomba and replanted from that.

#4 ·
Thanks sik80! I guess my LFS told me the wrong scientific name of the wisteria, so thanks for pointing out the common name (I've since updated my profile). The pics from this forum helped confirm that too. Because those most likely have a root system going now under the substrate, is there a "proper" way to replant them? Just pull 'em and make a new hole in the substrate and push the roots down and then cover? I don't want to damage the roots or anything.
Witeria is normally very easy to grow. Don't worry if some roots come off - just stick it in the substrate and they'll grow again. For best results cut the stem half way between where the leaves are coming out, then remove some of the leaves from the bottom of the section you've removed and stick it in the gravel

#5 ·
That is very nice. In your other thread I commented on using a branch in a columnar tank, that was before I saw this video, and I see you have done what I was suggesting. That adds depth to this type of aquarium, and would suit those other fish I mentioned.

The "cory" by the way is actually a Brochis, Brochis splendens. At least I'm fairly certain it is, he was moving fairly quickly when he was sideways to the camera but I think the dorsal fin extends further along the dorsal ridge than it would for Corydoras aeneus. As for the respiration, I wouldn't worry; if it had recently eaten, or been swimming, it would be respirating faster.

I agree on moving the Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), I would suggest the rear left corner so it will grow in front of the filter intake and partly hide it. And the JM and JF look fine to me.

Byron.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies! And thanks for the clarification Byron. I'll try to get some side-shots of the catfish for you.

I just added a bit more of the giant val and thankfully my LFS had some tall plants already. They're almost to the top of the tank! I'm including a pic of the finished product. I have a cabomba on the left corner, along with a wisteria. Wisteria is also on the left-mid, and the back right. The back is all giant val with a few scattered cabomba (trying to let them grow out, may replant later). I don't want too much on the right side because that's the side of the outflow, and it seems to disrupt things a bit. I have it at a 45 degree angle pointing to the side glass.

Attachments

#8 ·
You can sort out the catfish question easily. Both species are in our profiles, Corydoras aeneus and Brochis splendens, with photos [click the shaded names]. Compare the dorsal fin on your cat to those on the two species, they are distinctive.

The Vall will grow across the surface, that's fine; a natural floating plant effect which is always good.

#9 ·
Nice aquascape! I love the dirftwood you have in there. As Byron already said the Vall will grow to the surface. I have lots in my 55 gallon along the back of the tank. I have some on one side of the tank that has grown to the surface and goes passed the middle of the tank. Its gets really long. I don't know if it is the same varity as yours. Mine was called "jungle" val but still will probably grow the same. Once again Great Job!

#11 ·
@Boredomb and Romad: Thanks! I was originally looking for a thicker piece that was also fairly high, but was looking through the wood my LFS had and thought if I tied them together it might work lol. I'm looking forward to when the plants start growing more.

#13 ·
The Petsmart in Canada carry the good wood, dark brown, I think they label it Malaysian Driftwood or something similar. It has always worked for me. I will never buy Mopani wood again after nearly losing fish to some fungus. A couple of other stores here carry the very dark heavy wood that is what I have most in my tanks, but the few smallish pieces of the Malaysian have blended in well.

#15 ·
What online sites do you trust for ordering?

#17 ·
Sorry, that post was vague lol. I meant ordering in general, not just for driftwood. I'll check out the site you listed.

#19 ·
The only site online I've used is Big Al's in Canada (I'm in Canada) and they have been very reliable. They have a US site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.