Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Equipment Question for tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/equipment-question-tank-71872/)

GwenInNM 06-02-2011 09:13 AM

Equipment Question for tank

So, I'm thinking about increasing water flow into the tank, so it gets more oxygen. I have a fairly well planted tank, so I'm not sure I need this, but. . . so, I have no idea what a powerhead is. If I was to get a Marineland powerhead on amazon for $17.00 is that all I need? How does it work, hook up? I don't get how it moves more water through the tank? I have an Aquaclear 70 already running and the tank is 43 gal.

I don't understand how the powerhead gets it's water to put more back in the tank. I want to understand if it has to hook up to a bucket under the tank or what? I obviously want something simple and cheap.

Any recommendations?

Gwen

AbbeysDad 06-02-2011 10:03 AM

If you have an AC70 (as I do) you don't need to add a powerhead...just reduce the water level in your tank slightly and you'll have a slight water fall from your filter. Having 'said' that, I don't think you want/need it in a planted tank - My tank ins't planted but still I use cut water bottles to baffle the return of my AC70 to make a less turbulent aquarium environment (that still has circulation).

redchigh 06-02-2011 10:06 AM

Powerheads have an intake and an output about two inches apart on the unit. They pull water in and spew it out the other side.

Are your fish gasping at the surface? Why do you think you need more oxygen? Most tropical fish don't like a lot of current... The AC 70 is pushing it IMO.

Byron 06-02-2011 11:16 AM

I think you have sufficient movement now, and probably too much.

GwenInNM 06-02-2011 05:34 PM

Thanks all! Perhaps I should be trying to build more biological filtration? I guess the only character in the tank that would prefer more water flow is my Bamboo shrimp :) I think what frustrates me is I do a WC each week, and have been feeding every other day, but today have nitrates at 20ppm, so I will do my WC tomorrow, which is one week exactly. I know 20 is acceptable, but I have this goal of having 0 nitrates, and I do have plants. Maybe I'm just being crazy, and trying to find other toys to add. Thanks, I won't get a powerhead. Should I look at getting a small filter with a bio-wheel, or is that just dumb? It would seem like an AquaClear 70 would suffice for a tank just over 40 gal. And it's not like I'm overstocked

Gwen

43 gal
5 neon dwarf rainbows
4 Angelica/bermese loaches
1 Blue Gourami
3 ghost shrimp
1 Bamboo shrimp
5 kuli loaches

GwenInNM 06-02-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 690552)
Powerheads have an intake and an output about two inches apart on the unit. They pull water in and spew it out the other side.

Are your fish gasping at the surface? Why do you think you need more oxygen? Most tropical fish don't like a lot of current... The AC 70 is pushing it IMO.

And to answer RedC, no my fish are not gasping for air, they are doing fine and seem happy.

Gwen

Byron 06-02-2011 06:05 PM

There should be no need for more filtration or water movement with that stocking and plants. Have you tested the tap water for nitrate?

GwenInNM 06-02-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 690931)
There should be no need for more filtration or water movement with that stocking and plants. Have you tested the tap water for nitrate?

Great suggestion Byron. Just did that, and tap water has 0 nitrates.

Gwen

Byron 06-02-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 690948)
Great suggestion Byron. Just did that, and tap water has 0 nitrates.

Gwen

When you test the tank, presumably using the API liquid test, are you shaking the bottle of Regent #2 for at least 2 minutes? The instructions say 30 seconds but many have found this results in an inaccurate (and high) result.

GwenInNM 06-02-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 690955)
When you test the tank, presumably using the API liquid test, are you shaking the bottle of Regent #2 for at least 2 minutes? The instructions say 30 seconds but many have found this results in an inaccurate (and high) result.

Yes, Byron, I had read a post from you already about shaking the #2 bottle for 2 minutes, so I do that already. I do use the liquid API test kit

Gwen