Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   all levels are rising? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/all-levels-rising-7178/)

alienataris 07-28-2007 04:20 PM

all levels are rising?

I just set up my aquarium 2 weeks ago. As per the fish stores advice I am cycling my aquarium with 5 zebra danios. The first time I tested the water the ammonia was very low and nitrites and nitrates were both 0. I kept testing the water over the next week or so and it was still showing the same reading ammonia low with 0 nitrite and nitrates. It is a little over 2 weeks later and My readings show that ammonia and nitrites are both rising but I also have nitrates. I thought nitrates werent supposed to show up until after the ammonia went back down to zero and the nitrites were the only thing rising. Why am I showing all three rising at the same time? Is this normal?? Thanks in advance!!

Here are my tank particulars:

1. Size of aquarium- 20 Gallon

2. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or saltwater? -Freshwater

3. How long the aquarium has been setup- little over 2 weeks

4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium -5 zebra danios

5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? - No

6. What make/model filter are you using? - Whisper in tank filter

7. Are you using a CO2 unit? - ummm I have a air pump and bubbler...does that count??

8. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? - yes, but not direct sunlight

9. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? - few days ago it was a 10% per the fish stores advice.

10.How often and what foods do you feed your fish- Its called nutramax for tropical fish, I feed them twice a day small meals.

11.Is your aquarium light incandescent or fluorescent and how often is it kept on? Not sure what kind maybe flourescent Leave it on for about 12 hours a day. I always turn it off at night.

12.What specific concerns bring you in with a water sample at this time- stated above.

fish_4_all 07-28-2007 11:08 PM

In short, no. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates can all be on the rise during a cycle. 5 zebra danios in a 20 gallon doesn;t seem like a lit but it can happen. I even saw this in the fishless cycle I did. My reading were 1.5ppm ammonia, 1ppm nitrites and 10ppm nitrates at one time so they can very well all be there at the same time.

The good thing is that once the nitrates start to show up you are about 3-4 weeks away from a possible end to the cycle or maybe shorter.

jones57742 07-29-2007 05:42 AM

AN:

Several Items:

Yes this normal for the stocking level of your tank.

You are doing good!

Thanks very much for the detail of your post.

IMHO, I would be doing 25% weekly water changes.

I also noted that you said
" I feed them twice a day small meals.".

What is "your definition of small" in terms of teaspoons at each feeding?

TR

alienataris 07-29-2007 11:15 AM

Thanks for the replies!! As far as how much Im feeding each time, Im not really sure in teaspoons. Basically I take 2 large flakes out of the container at each feeding and crush them up into tiny pieces and slowly putting them in (like ill put in 1/3 and wait for them to finish it, then put in a little more, and so on until they have eaten the two flakes worth) I am afraid to feed them more than this during a feeding because I dont want to pollute the tank too much during the cycling process.

Thanks again!

jones57742 07-29-2007 05:57 PM

Sounds very good to me.

TR