Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Parasite or ignore the white thing swimming around on my filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/parasite-ignore-white-thing-swimming-around-71755/)

DKRST 05-31-2011 08:02 PM

Parasite or ignore the white thing swimming around on my filter

I was looking at the sponge filter in my quarantine tank and noticed a small white dot moving around. It's about the size of an "ich" spot, but clearly is free-swimming, I'm assuming it's a copepod? I just got done medicating for a Camallanus problem in my main tank. I know copepods are the vector for Cammalanus worms.

Any issues with copepods if they have been in a fish-free tank for a month? Any risk of Camallanus?

redchigh 06-01-2011 11:02 AM

I highly doubt it. I have them in all my soil tanks when I first set them up...
My fish think they're delicious, and I've never had a problem.

SinCrisis 06-01-2011 12:10 PM

how big is the spot, could just by cyclops. I have them in all the tanks i have that do not have a lot of water movement. Some are y shaped, those are the femals w/ eggs.

redchigh 06-01-2011 12:15 PM

cyclops are copepods.

SinCrisis 06-01-2011 01:50 PM

i didnt say they werent? was just trying to be more specific as to what it could be.

DKRST 06-01-2011 04:27 PM

Thanks for the input. I grabbed a sample and took it up to the biology lab to take a microscopic peek, but on the way had to stop for an appointment. It's close to 100 degrees today. Left the sample in the car and cooked anything that was in it. Will try to peek at it again, with no stops between home and lab, tomorrow!
I think they are too small to be cyclops.

I'm overly paranoid regarding the Camallanus - it was a real pain to get under control!

eileen 06-01-2011 04:49 PM

Could be a Freshwater Limpets/ posted a picture

1 Attachment(s)
I got freshwater limpets. They were on some plants that I got at a auction. I posted a picture. I went to Staples and got a magnifying glass. It comes in handy to see the glass of stuff or illness on fish or looking at small baby fish more closely. If it is freshwater Limpets they are harmless sort of like a snail. They seem to multiply when their is alot of food for them. You can google Freshwater Limpets to learn about them but I have not found to much information about them. They move along the glass slowly and with a magnifying glass you can see the mouth moving. They seem to be at the top edge of the gravel or sand and move their way up the glass or plants. Looks like a cone hat snail. I've noticed that they stick to the glass like glue and the only way to get they off the glass is by putting your finger on them and sliding they up the glass to remove them.

SinCrisis 06-01-2011 05:11 PM

limpets arent free swimming so i dont think that would be it. There are a lot of copepods though it could be anything, cyclops was just the most common one i find in my tanks and they quickly out-compete the others.

eileen 06-01-2011 05:45 PM

Sorry I did not look at the thread closely and noticed it is for freeswimming. It could be copepods. I have those in my tank also. They are tiny but are visable with a magnifying glass.

DKRST 06-01-2011 06:39 PM

Actually, I'm not overly worried about what it is so much as I'm paranoid about having another Camallanus parasite outbreak with copepods serving as the vector. I do appreciate all the feedback :-)
Once I get a good look under the dissecting scope, I'll post the ID. I have a few ID keys to freshwater copepods and other critters around my office somewhere.