Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What type of lighting for my ten gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-type-lighting-my-ten-gallon-71737/)

Andarial 05-31-2011 04:37 PM

What type of lighting for my ten gallon?

Ok so I am setting up a ten gallon for my DP, and I am looking into setting it up so it is heavily planted. I am buying a new lid because the lighting has dual bulbs that I have issues finding and I doubt I will be able to find any that can provide lighting for plants that will fit in it. So I am wondering what kind of light strip should I be looking for? I am looking into a strip and not bulbs and I want something that I can have several different kinds of plants with.

What should the power be? Or do I have to wait until I get the actual hood until I can find out?

Byron 05-31-2011 07:07 PM

With fluorescent tubes, it will be a standard size to fit the tank. Years ago I had a standard 10g with a fluorescent hood but it gave out and I chucked it out and can't remember the tube size it took. "Fish store" type tubes will fit though these are more expensive (Hagen Life-Glo for instance, or ZooMed, etc.). There is a standard tube length to fit the fixture, and any manufacturer will be the same although not all manufacturers make all tube lengths.

For my 10g now I have an incandescent hood with two bulbs, and I much prefer it. It is much less expensive for the fixture, and the bulbs. The Compact Fluorescent bulbs work very well, I use two 10w Daylight made by Phillips, it is very good plant light and I like the cool white appearance. They come in various wattages. You can get warm white bulbs too if you prefer that hue. They also produce even less heat than fluorescent tubes.

Byron.

Rip 05-31-2011 07:40 PM

i use a 18inch T8 15w 6500k bulb from Lowe's over each of my 10 gallons. they cost about six dollars i think.

works well for my plants. my pygmy chain sword has sent out a runner, and now i have at least 10 plantlets growing along it, from using the lighting mentioned.

Andarial 05-31-2011 09:23 PM

I will check out both incandescent (since that is what I have now) and fluorescent, perhaps I can find one that will fit my old hood, if not I can always switch it. Thanks guys ^^ will keep you updated

Twilight Storm 05-31-2011 11:26 PM

Byron could you please link the Phillips compact florescent bulbs you are using for your 10 gallon hood? I looked around at light bulbs online but the shapes don't look like they would fit inside the strip. The searches I did using that phrase on Google didn't turn up anything that looks like the shape would fit.

Can these be used in the little 2.5 fixtures? (Betta tank) Or are they much wider then the stock 15 watt incandescent?

Thank you in advance. I wouldn't bother you with this except even finding new bulbs that will even fit inside most of my regular table lamp harps is a nightmare now.

redchigh 06-01-2011 09:08 AM

I agree, just use an incandescent hood and place two 10W CFL bulbs in it.

I use these-
Walmart.com: Lights Of America: 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1 Ct: Fish

and they work well for my needs.

Byron 06-01-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Storm (Post 689342)
Byron could you please link the Phillips compact florescent bulbs you are using for your 10 gallon hood? I looked around at light bulbs online but the shapes don't look like they would fit inside the strip. The searches I did using that phrase on Google didn't turn up anything that looks like the shape would fit.

Can these be used in the little 2.5 fixtures? (Betta tank) Or are they much wider then the stock 15 watt incandescent?

Thank you in advance. I wouldn't bother you with this except even finding new bulbs that will even fit inside most of my regular table lamp harps is a nightmare now.

Here's a link to the page from Canadian Tire which is where I get mine in Canada, I couldn't seem to save the photo. This one (10w Daylight by GE, sorry I had said Phillips earlier, thinking of my tubes) fits my 10g hood fixture which is a standard incandescant hood.

GE 10W Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, 2-Pk | Canadian Tire

redchigh 06-01-2011 12:12 PM

Ah, never thought about using the 'mini's.. hmm.

Andarial 06-01-2011 04:20 PM

I found a bulb that will fit in the hood, but I have to buy it from the pet store. I think I will go with it though, I might try to find a second kind of bulb like a sun-glo instead of just aqua so I can get two different kinds of light. Hopefully the plants will like it.

redchigh 06-01-2011 04:25 PM

You mean for an incandescent hood?

Did you try wal-mart? Two different bulbs in a screw-in hood will make the left side of the tank a different color...