Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Do Mystery snails hibernate (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/do-mystery-snails-hibernate-71620/)

BadFishDaddy 05-30-2011 09:30 AM

Do Mystery snails hibernate

Hi everyone,

I was just doing some reading on Mystery Snails and saw that they need to hibernate for awhile every year in some moist mud. The site recommended ( FAQs on Freshwater Aquarium Snail Systems thread title: Mystery Snail Mating... beh., sys. - 03/06/09) removing your snail and putting them in a bucket of mud, then pulling them out and slowly waking them up.

I don't know if this is a respected site or reliable information. I didn't see anything about this on applesnail.net.

Does anyone know if this should be done?
If so: how long do you leave them in the mud? What kind of mud? Where do you get mud?

On a quick side note, my snail is near the top of the tank today (it has never been there before). I added some Malafix yesterday to the tank (which people here have said would not hurt the snail). Is it likely something is wrong?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

HMlairy 05-30-2011 10:25 AM

If your snail is in an indoor aquarium i don't think it will need to hibernate

KateFishBait 11-17-2013 09:43 PM

I just got my black mystery snail about a month ago, and up untill now he has been one happy snail. I know he has enough to eat because my tank has a good amount of fish and I can always see some dirty spots which he usually quickly eats. Although lately he has been sucked into his shell for the past 3 or 4 days. Sometimes he will stay in his shell for a day but never this long. It is getting to be that winter season and even though my tank is kept at a 80 ish degrees Fahrenheit temp, could he sense that it's winter and be actually hibernating. I really hope he is okay, frankly he's one of my favorite additions to my tank and it would terrible to find that he has passed. Also I picked him up to get a closer look the other day and he has no scratches or anything (the fish and frog love him too) the only thing I noticed that he was a bit more sucked into his shell than usual. I hope there is an answer for my little snail out there although I am new to this website and cant figure out how to post so it would be great if you knew either was is wrong or how to post....

THANKS!! <3

BadFishDaddy 11-17-2013 10:01 PM

Hi Kate,

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you. I can tell you my snail died shortly after this post :-(

I was also just looking at how to post a new topic, and I have no idea how I did it. If you can find a moderator, I bet they can help you.

Best of luck. I hope your snail is OK.

BFD