Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Ramshorn breeding help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/ramshorn-breeding-help-71619/)

HMlairy 05-30-2011 07:13 AM

Ramshorn breeding help

Hey,
I brought in a baby ramshorn snail in from my pond and placed in a 5 litre established tank with hornwort.
I am planning to breed the snail and place the babies into my friends pond.
I've been reading up on breeding but alot of websites say different things and I want an expirenced person to tell me how to breed them. Many websites say different things such as they will breed with themselves and others say that they need to be fertilized first and then can lay eggs for the rest of their lives.
Please reply, thanks!

ashokantony 05-30-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMlairy (Post 687325)
Hey,
I brought in a baby ramshorn snail in from my pond and placed in a 5 litre established tank with hornwort.
I am planning to breed the snail and place the babies into my friends pond.
I've been reading up on breeding but alot of websites say different things and I want an expirenced person to tell me how to breed them. Many websites say different things such as they will breed with themselves and others say that they need to be fertilized first and then can lay eggs for the rest of their lives.
Please reply, thanks!

Ramshorns dont need any help with breeding :-)

They are hermaprhodite. Add 2 to your tank and very soon you'll start seeing these tiny bunch of eggs all over the tank surfaces. They quickly multiply and quite soon you'll be opening a thread on how to get rid of them.

I got mine from some plants. I just got initially and I guess it was already pregnant. It started laying eggs and now I see lots and lots.

HMlairy 06-01-2011 09:45 AM

If they are hermaprhodites, why do I need 2?

redchigh 06-01-2011 09:47 AM

Each snail is both sexes, but they can't impregnate themselves.

Give them ample food, and they will reproduce. (Plus the one you have might need to get a bit older)

SinCrisis 06-01-2011 11:12 AM

im not sure they cant have sex with themselves... I had 1 baby ramshorn, now i have 8. I dont know when they mature enough to carry babies but mine was pretty small when i got mine, no bigger than the o on the percent key on a keyboard...

redchigh 06-01-2011 11:14 AM

Possible you missed one, and there were actually two?

Or you got eggs on a plant, and one just hatched before the rest?

SinCrisis 06-01-2011 12:52 PM

not possible, i took the ramshorn from a friends tank. There was only 1. My plants were all clean when i planted.

redchigh 06-01-2011 01:00 PM

peculiar. Observing mine, they appear to only breed once they get about 8-10mm across. I could be wrong.

As we've mentioned before, there is no ramshorn species. There are dozens, possibly hundreds of freshwater snail species with a 'ramshorn' shell. Maybe some can self-fertilise and others can't?

If they can all self fertilise though, then how did they develop the red and yellow ramshorns? I assume they did it by line breeding.. It would be impossible to line breed if they self fertilise..

SinCrisis 06-01-2011 01:10 PM

mine are all brown/tan colored and all small. My plants were bleach cleaned so its unlikely that they came from the plants. There are definitely a lot of variety of snails, i wouldnt be surprised if some could self fertilize. All the snails i own came from a population of 1.

HMlairy 06-02-2011 08:11 AM

Ok i will test! I will leave him/her in there on it's own and see how it does.
What's ample food?