Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need help identifying a fish... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-help-identifying-fish-71531/)

AuraBoyX 05-28-2011 09:51 PM

Need help identifying a fish...

Hey All,

I bought some fish a couple months back and never got the name of them... I have since tried to specifically identify them, but cannot match up anything on the web or in books... I can find similar fish but they are not exact... They are tough to get pictures of but from 50 pictures I got this one semi-clear one:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...33&cid=1&stc=1

I am new to the fish hobby and am still learning... I want to say they are guppies... But no pictures match up - not a single one... The only thing that comes even close is a Cobra Endlers Guppy... But its not exact.

Any help would be appreciated in identifying these fun little fish of mine...

Thanks in advance!
Chris :)

Andarial 05-28-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuraBoyX (Post 686167)
Hey All,

I bought some fish a couple months back and never got the name of them... I have since tried to specifically identify them, but cannot match up anything on the web or in books... I can find similar fish but they are not exact... They are tough to get pictures of but from 50 pictures I got this one semi-clear one:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...33&cid=1&stc=1

I am new to the fish hobby and am still learning... I want to say they are guppies... But no pictures match up - not a single one... The only thing that comes even close is a Cobra Endlers Guppy... But its not exact.

Any help would be appreciated in identifying these fun little fish of mine...

Thanks in advance!
Chris :)

No these are Yellow Cobra Endlers you were righth, why do you think they aren't that?

Byron 05-29-2011 12:16 PM

We have a profile of the Endlers Livebearer now, you can click on the shaded name to see the information in the profile about this species, care, habits, etc. There are many colour variants but care is the same.

Byron.

AuraBoyX 05-29-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 686523)
We have a profile of the Endlers Livebearer now, you can click on the shaded name to see the information in the profile about this species, care, habits, etc. There are many colour variants but care is the same.

Byron.

Thanks! I love these fish! I don't think the fishstore was selling these as Endlers...

Byron 05-29-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuraBoyX (Post 686631)
Thanks! I love these fish! I don't think the fishstore was selling these as Endlers...

Actually, looking more closely, it may be the regular Cobra Guppy. Still beautiful.:-)

Andarial 05-29-2011 03:19 PM

My store sold them as endlers XD strange how they fiddle with names

Byron 05-29-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 686715)

That is the big issue with common names. I have a very reputable fish store here that will give a fish that does not have a well-known name any descriptive name. This is quite common all over. And each language or country will have a different common name.

Common names have absolutely no validity beyond the person using it. Which is why many of us keep pushing for use of the scientific name. It is absolute, and governed by the code of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. It is universal, so any aquarist anywhere in the world talking about Paracheirodon simulans for instance knows which fish this is, and the name is the same in any language.

balachandran 06-17-2011 09:22 AM

Can anyone identify them?

I just saw these fishes in my friends house.. I have no idea about fishes... can anyone help me in identifying them?

Pls find their pics at

100_0992 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
100_0972 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
100_0965 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks

redchigh 06-17-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 686715)

That's quite the problem with endlers... They are often crossed with guppies because they are so readily crossed.

Do be honest, I think your fish is a cobra guppy, with a grandparent that was a endler. ;)

and balachandran, those are cichlids. Nice now, but will likely shred each other apart when they get older. (If not properly cared for)

balachandran 06-17-2011 09:35 AM

Thanks a lot redchigh...
I found four varieties of them... the blue one with stripes, the yellow one with stripes and two more varieties gold and silver- both without stripes.... Are they all cichlids ???

Thanks a lot