Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   5 Gallon Newly Planted (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/5-gallon-newly-planted-71505/)

M496 05-28-2011 03:17 PM

5 Gallon Newly Planted

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all! (:
Yesterday, I planted my five gallon tank. Here is what is inside it:

Natural looking gravel (probably 1.5-2")
A couple small round stones
A fake piece of driftwood (I don't really trust getting any real driftwood yet. Any suggestions?)
From left to right....Green Rotala, Red Ludwigia, Water Wisteria, and behind the fake driftwood:Java Fern
Behind the plants is a 10 gallon heater and the water temp is set to 79-80 F.
Also a whisper filter that works quite well.
I am currently giving the plants 9 hours of sunlight a day.

This is my first planted tank, and I know that it is small but I like it:) I am waiting for the plants to bring the ammonia down (I am doing a fishless cycle) so that I can add the plants. I am not really doing a fishless cycle anymore. I am going to wait until the plants bring the ammonia down to 0. Does this sound right? Overnight, the plants brought the ammonia down from 5 to 2 with the help of a small water change.

Here are a couple pics! They arent the best quality....I hope that in the future, the plants will grow taller and cover most of the filter/heater. Its definetly not great but I enjoy it

bailey0789 05-28-2011 08:49 PM

Looks completely awesome. Not sure about the driftwood, but keep the Real Plants fresh. In a month or more they will start to go. Not hard to replace. What do you plan on stocking with....very curious.

M496 05-28-2011 09:02 PM

Thank you!
.....What do you mean, they will start to go? They shouldn't. They will grow and I'll trim them and replant them. I shouldn't have to replace them every month or so.
I am going to transfer my 2-3 platies from my other tank into this tank. The reason I say 2-3 is one of them isn't looking too good. I mean, she is eating and swimming great, but she has this weird growth on her tail and I am worried she will soon began to show that its there (not eating, etc.) But anyways, I am waiting for the ammonia/nitrites/etc. to go down so it is safe to add them.

alidawn15 05-28-2011 09:02 PM

Good luck with the Wisteria. I had some but my light wasn't strong enough.

Boredomb 05-28-2011 09:10 PM

M496 nice looking tank! Though can I make a suggestion? If it was me I would move the therometer to the side of the tank. Right now it catches the eye and draws your attention to it. I am also curious by "they will start to go" If they are real plants and they have the nurteints and lighting they need they will grow.

M496 05-28-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 686112)
M496 nice looking tank! Though can I make a suggestion? If it was me I would move the therometer to the side of the tank. Right now it catches the eye and draws your attention to it. I am also curious by "they will start to go" If they are real plants and they have the nurteints and lighting they need they will grow.

Thanks!! I am keeping that thermometer there temporarily because I am making sure that the light isn't affecting the temperature of the tank. So far it hasn't:) (knock on wood)
I am also curious about "they will start to go" because they are real plants! and I am giving them light and nutrients....

alidawn15 05-28-2011 09:20 PM

I've had mine since February and other than the initial die off of leaves all they've done is grow.

LasColinasCichlids 05-28-2011 09:41 PM

Great looking tank!!

The lighting looks like LEDs??? If so, they wont produce enough heat to rise water temps.

Ahh, wisteria is one of my faves and have a lot of it in my tanks. I have it planted, and its been doing great even in low light. However, wisteria does need higher lighting when planted than when its floating. I tried floating my wisteria, but it looks so much more beautiful planted, so in my 29g I switched the floating wisteria to planted and took my planted blyxa and floated it...much more eye pleasing.

I love the little driftwood!! And no, nothing in there should have to be "replaced" if kept up... and their comment could have been a typo or they mis-read so they mis-spoke, no harm done.

Congrats on the tank!!! It is VERY pretty!!!

Oh, and by the way... I use to have the Tetra Whisper filter on my old 5g... great working filter for sure, however it seems to aid in algae production like mad!! And after a while you will get irritated with it taking up tank space that fish could be swimming in. When I re-set up my 5g down the road, I am getting an HOB for it instead. And you will want to make sure the water stays just below the lip of the whisper filter for it to work efficiently, just incase you are new to this filter. :)

Mikaila31 05-29-2011 01:15 PM

Looking good. As far as the filter I would not be surprised if you did not need it at all in a 5 gallon planted.

Byron 05-29-2011 01:40 PM

Very nice. Be careful with the direct sunlight, with 9 hours you will almost certainly have algae.