Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Wrong Fish??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/wrong-fish-71461/)

llexpress20 05-27-2011 11:19 PM

Wrong Fish???

After struggling and getting my 20 gallon tank situated my molly had 22 babies(I managed to save all of them:lol:) and had to get another tank-so they wouldn't get eaten. So I got a 55 gallon and moved the bigger fish into that one and added a couple more fish. My problem is that I got two dwarf gouramis and went back for a third, so I picked the pretty yellow one. In the past couple weeks this fish is out growing the other two quickly so I did some investigating and it looks like I got a gold severum instead. It seems peaceful and doesn't bother anyone unless they bother it and even then it kinda just chases them away and they go. My issue is that it looks like I might have a fish that is larger then I planned:-(. Right now in the tank I have 2 mollies, 2 danios, 2 glo fish, 2 sword tails, 1 platy, 2 angel fish, 2 fancy tail guppies, 3 emerald green cores, 1 sucker fish and my gourami that is a gold severum:-? I was planning on putting a couple of the baby mollies in the tank when they were big enough, but now I don't know if I have the room. The biggest question I have is that all of the fish get along fine now--no fighting at all--will that change? Are my smaller fish going to be in trouble when my gourami/gold severum gets bigger? I'm not happy with the pet store at this moment:evil:

jeaninel 05-27-2011 11:32 PM

So what fish do you have in the 20 and what's in the 55? A Severum will definitely outgrow a 20 gallon. 55 gallon would be ok but your other smaller fish will be in trouble when the Severum grows up. Your best bet would probably be to return it. Can you post a pic so we can confirm what it is?

llexpress20 05-27-2011 11:41 PM

Picture of my ?????

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 29325

llexpress20 05-27-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 685237)
So what fish do you have in the 20 and what's in the 55? A Severum will definitely outgrow a 20 gallon. 55 gallon would be ok but your other smaller fish will be in trouble when the Severum grows up. Your best bet would probably be to return it. Can you post a pic so we can confirm what it is?

Right now the baby mollies are in the 20 gallon and all others are in the 55.

llexpress20 05-28-2011 12:28 AM

Anyone know what kind of fish is in the picture?

jeaninel 05-28-2011 12:49 PM

Yeah, it looks like a Sev. How big is it? Your glo-fish, danios and guppies may get eaten as the Severum grows. And certainly any fry that are born in the tank will also. As far as getting along with the other fish you have it really depends on the individual fish as Sevs can range from fairly peaceful (for a cichlid) to mean, aggressive suckers. Individual personalities vary. I had one that ate my dwarf neon rainbow fish but never bothered the cories, pleco and black skirts. I currently have 2 large Sevs that are housed with cories and a BN pleco and they are fine with them.

llexpress20 05-28-2011 03:15 PM

As of right now he/she is very peaceful and minds its own business. It is growing very quickly and I make sure that I feed them at least twice a day. I see him/her chase the dwarf gourami slightly--usually about 2-3 inches then it goes back about its business. The pet store had no clue that they even had these fish and they still have a couple more in the tank. I don't want to lose any of my fish but the fish is just so pretty:-(

llexpress20 05-28-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 685613)
Yeah, it looks like a Sev. How big is it? Your glo-fish, danios and guppies may get eaten as the Severum grows. And certainly any fry that are born in the tank will also. As far as getting along with the other fish you have it really depends on the individual fish as Sevs can range from fairly peaceful (for a cichlid) to mean, aggressive suckers. Individual personalities vary. I had one that ate my dwarf neon rainbow fish but never bothered the cories, pleco and black skirts. I currently have 2 large Sevs that are housed with cories and a BN pleco and they are fine with them.

I would have to say 2-3 inches, but definitely about 4x the size since I got him. The pet store thinks the danios might be quick enough to get away. If we are talking inches, as far as what the severum can eat, is it 1 inch, 2 inch fish, etc? The guppies are about 1.5 inches as well as the glo fish, danios are a little smaller. When will a wicked personality come out on these fish or is it whenever they feel like it?

Byron 05-29-2011 01:27 PM

I would return the Severum. As jeaninel mentioned, this fish can become a real terror. It may "appear" fine now, but as it matures it will or could develop its natural traits which can be more intensified due to various environmental factors.

You are placing your other fish at risk. Even if there is no sign of physical damage, the aggressive fish sends out chemical and visual signals that other fish can read, and they will at best be stressed, which means poor health and problems that would otherwise not occur. Being able to out-swim the Severum as the fish store said is not good, that is only a sure sign of stress.

Fish are the way they were created, programmed by nature, and we cannot change that. Individual fish can sometimes be slightly different, either way, but the inherent traits are there.

Byron.

llexpress20 05-31-2011 01:53 PM

Well I have moved him into his own tank with a bala shark and a catfish. And it looks like just in time because I now have about 75-100 more baby mollies that were born:-? I am so out of room and out of tanks:cry: