Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Are covict's a good cichlid to start with? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/covicts-good-cichlid-start-71457/)

tomncassie 05-27-2011 09:10 PM

Are covict's a good cichlid to start with?

My boss has a lot i mean a lot of cichlids convicts and Im starting a 100 gallon tank.After it cycles Im thinking of taking some maybe one male and two females cause he want to get red of them.Will I eventualy end up with a tank full.Ihave five tiger barbs I cycled with and plan on getting three or four silver dollars latter will they all be ok togethe.

bettababy 05-27-2011 11:36 PM

First answer, yes, if you mix a male with a female and they pair up, you will end up with a tank full of convict cichlids, they are easy spawners and good parents. You will also end up with the pair and their fry taking over most of the tank, defending their 2/3 of the tank fiercely against anything else. Silver dollars, if small, would stand no chance against that kind of attack... and lg silver dollars would likely suffer physical scars from it. Tiger barbs would be convict food early on. Convicts can be great if you have a large enough tank to provide them with suitable tank mates of similar size and aggression, such as jack dempseys, green terrors, jaguar cichlids, etc. Mind you, this would not be a healthy mix in a 100 gallon tank. Once these fish start to mature to full size, 100 gallons is going to be way too small for even 1 of each of what I listed.

So are they a good starter fish... they can be under the right circumstances. Unless you have an outlet for the fry ahead of time, don't mix male/female. The fry grow quick and it can be hard to even give them away for free. You can expect at least 50 - 100+ fry each spawn. Thats a lot of large, aggressive fish who will pair among themselves as they mature.

tomncassie 05-27-2011 11:58 PM

Thanks for the info.I think I will pass on the convicts for now and try for the silver dollars.i also would like to get some blue gouramis.

bettababy 05-28-2011 12:33 AM

That would make for a much more peaceful mix. Keep in mind, do your research on the silver dollars before you buy them, know what you're getting. There are some species that can get 10+ inches in diameter, which means a couple of them would be too large for 100 gallons within a couple of yrs if they are healthy, which means planning ahead for a larger tank in an appropriate amount of time. That can get expensive.

LasColinasCichlids 05-28-2011 07:35 PM

I have an opaline gourami, same as a blue just different colorings. Its a girl, and to tell you the truth, even as pretty as she is, she bores me as a fish. Gourami are shy fish (even with floating plants and such). Now in a larger tank where aggression can be spread out between a handful or more of them then you would probably get more activity and visuals of them better than I get with mine solo in my tank.

As for the tiger barbs with cichlids (I know you said you arent going that route, but I wanted to share)... In my cichlid days I found that tiger barbs made the best dither fish for the 6 inch and under cichlids.

Good luck with your tank, welcome to TFK, and cant wait to see pics when you get your tank all done!!!

bettababy 05-29-2011 01:05 AM

Tiger barbs mixed in with convicts would be convict food. There are a number of species of cichlids they can work with, however, convicts isn't one of them.