Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Stocking 5.5 gallon tank with a gourami? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/stocking-5-5-gallon-tank-gourami-71452/)

kathstew 05-27-2011 07:04 PM

Stocking 5.5 gallon tank with a gourami?
 
Hello all! I have a 5.5 gallon tank that is currently holding one male platy. Unfortunately, I had a parasite outbreak within the tank, and he is the only survivor. I believe he is on his last leg, and may not live much longer. I had him, another platy and two guppies in the 5.5 gallon tank for less than two weeks. A female guppy I purchased turned out to have parasites, which were then passed to the other fish. I tried treating the poor fish, but it was too late.

I am now looking into what I can stock the tank with after the poor platy dies. I am still deciding whether I should put him out of his misery now, or just keep him comfortable until nature finishes him.

I was googling "stocking a 5.5 gallon tank" and besides shrimp, bettas (I already have 8 bettas lol), guppies and platys (I don't know if I want to go that route again) dwarf gouramis appeared quite a bit.

Would it be safe to put ONE dwarf gourami in a 5.5 gallon tank. I've also heard of honey gouramis, which are also apparently very small. Could I put a honey gourami in a 5.5 gallon tank? I wouldn't be putting both in, just one or the other.

If my platy does die soon, I am going to be completely disinfecting (fish-friendly way of course) my tank. Which means I will have to destroy the tanks cycle. Would I be able to cycle my tank fish-in with a gourami, or are they not hardy enough. I would normally do a fish-less cycle, but I am going in for surgery in a few weeks (end of July) and would prefer to have the tank set-up and ready ASAP, so my sister can care for my fish until I come home. I also wouldn't be able to leave my house very much after my surgery until I am fully recovered, so I would rather have the fish already home before I go in, so hes there when I get back.

I appreciate the time it takes to answer my questions. THANK YOU!

Beaches 05-27-2011 09:59 PM

Hi :-) Fiirstly, sorry to hear you have to undergo surgery :cry:, I hope it turns out well.

I have a Honey Sunset Gourami in a 15 gall. tank, they stay smaller than Dwarf's but I honestly wouldn't put one in a 5.5 gal. tank, I think a 10g. would be the minimum for them. I know you already have betta's, but they would be the only fish I would suggest for your tank, or perhaps some micro rasboras.

What sort of parasite was it and what did you use to treat them? Depending on the meds. you used, did you loose any of the cycle then? If the cycle is still intact, I am just thinking that instead of disinfecting it completely, perhaps you could just raise the heat and add aquarium salt, that way you may not need to recycle the tank as long as there is a food source for the nitrifying bacteria (if there is no fish in the tank) by adding a pinch of fish food daily.

stevenjohn21 05-27-2011 10:25 PM

You could have a couple of Peacock Gudgeon (the fish in my avatar) in a 5.5 gallon. I tried breeding them in a 10 gallon but 3 months later they still had no fry. I got a leak on the same 10 gallon so i moved the 2 fish into my 5.5 gallon, their colors got a lot brighter and 2 weeks later i had fry.

kathstew 05-28-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaches (Post 685211)
Hi :-) Fiirstly, sorry to hear you have to undergo surgery :cry:, I hope it turns out well.

I have a Honey Sunset Gourami in a 15 gall. tank, they stay smaller than Dwarf's but I honestly wouldn't put one in a 5.5 gal. tank, I think a 10g. would be the minimum for them. I know you already have betta's, but they would be the only fish I would suggest for your tank, or perhaps some micro rasboras.

What sort of parasite was it and what did you use to treat them? Depending on the meds. you used, did you loose any of the cycle then? If the cycle is still intact, I am just thinking that instead of disinfecting it completely, perhaps you could just raise the heat and add aquarium salt, that way you may not need to recycle the tank as long as there is a food source for the nitrifying bacteria (if there is no fish in the tank) by adding a pinch of fish food daily.

Thank you for the warm wishes towards my surgery. I am pretty positive it will turn out well. I'm getting my right femural head replaced (hip replacement). I've met others who've had the same surgery who have said it was the best thing they've ever done. Its just a long recuperation process.

Thank you for your opinion as well. I appreciate it. I really want a honey gourami, so I may convince my parents to let me get a bigger tank. As a gourami owner yourself, does yours have a lot of personality? My bettas all have a lot of personality, and I really want to get another fish with equal amounts of personality. :P

Micro rasboras are very cute, but I don't know if the fish stores around me carry them. I will have to keep an eye out for them.

I'm not exactly sure what type of parasite it was, only that it was internal. But I am now starting to think the parasites have also become external because my surviving platy has a weird white spot on him that I know wasn't there before. Its raised, and kinda looks like a bunch of bubbles, but they don't fall off as he rubs against things. I used Tetra™ Parasite Guard® - Parasite Medications - Medications - PetSmart to treat it, but it wasn't working. I added AQ salt as well, on advice from another forum.

The tank wasn't completely cycled at the time, and I haven't checked the levels yet as I just got back from holidays. The tank is already in the low eighties, and my heater isn't adjustable. I've been siphoning the tank regularly, to remove any of the white-stringy poo associated with the parasites. Right now, I am planning to remove the platy, do a good siphon and partial water change. I will put the platy in a hospital tank for now, and treat with AQ salt, and see if that helps at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 685232)
You could have a couple of Peacock Gudgeon (the fish in my avatar) in a 5.5 gallon. I tried breeding them in a 10 gallon but 3 months later they still had no fry. I got a leak on the same 10 gallon so i moved the 2 fish into my 5.5 gallon, their colors got a lot brighter and 2 weeks later i had fry.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it. Peacock Gudgeons are gorgeous! I will have a look at my local petstores to see if they carry them. I had never heard of them before.

kathstew 05-28-2011 04:25 PM

So I decided to get a honey gourami anyway. Once my surgery is over, I will get it a bigger tank. For now, I think a 5.5 gallon will be OK, as it is very young and very small.

Beaches 05-28-2011 06:41 PM

GEE! That is pretty major surgery, hopefully you will be running around in no time!

I adore my sunset honey and they do have definite individual personalities (I think all fish do really), mine is a real character and often makes me laugh...he even squirted water in my face the other day when I was cleaning the tank, I think he thought he saw an insect on the surface or something LOL. I find they are far more outgoing than Dwarf's. I have noticed that now mine is maturing, he is becoming more intolerant/territorial at times towards the rasboras, but only as in "chasing away" , no injury inflicted.

Mine was just over half an inch in length when I bought him nearly 1 yr ago, he is now three times that. Frozen baby brine shrimp is his favourite food.

Good luck with your new HG, I hope you like them as much as I do! :-)

kathstew 05-29-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaches (Post 685984)
GEE! That is pretty major surgery, hopefully you will be running around in no time!

I adore my sunset honey and they do have definite individual personalities (I think all fish do really), mine is a real character and often makes me laugh...he even squirted water in my face the other day when I was cleaning the tank, I think he thought he saw an insect on the surface or something LOL. I find they are far more outgoing than Dwarf's. I have noticed that now mine is maturing, he is becoming more intolerant/territorial at times towards the rasboras, but only as in "chasing away" , no injury inflicted.

Mine was just over half an inch in length when I bought him nearly 1 yr ago, he is now three times that. Frozen baby brine shrimp is his favourite food.

Good luck with your new HG, I hope you like them as much as I do! :-)

Thank you for the well wishes. I hope to be running around soon, although swimming is more on my priority list, LOL!

I'm already becoming quite attached to my little guy, although I can't tell if its a boy or girl yet. I'm thinking its a girl though. Either way, its showing quite the personality. I had the bag floating in the tank, so he could get used to the water. I lifted the bag up so I could cut it open and put him in. He had bitten a hole in the bag, and I was shot with a stream of water! He already comes up to glass to greet me as well.

He sounds really big. Right now, he looks so tiny in his 5.5 gallon tank, but I expect him to be needing a bigger one very soon! I've fed my guy some flake food, and some frozen bloodworm, he LOVED the frozen bloodworm!

I think I am really going to love my lil' guy. He's so adorable!
What size tank do you have your guy in?

Beaches 05-30-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathstew (Post 686396)
What size tank do you have your guy in?

He is in a 15 gallon kath.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2