Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish names! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-names-7127/)

Mating Slinkys 07-26-2007 09:07 AM

Fish names!

I was in chat yesterday with some folks (you know who you are...) and we came to discussing fish names, (the ones we give individual fish rather than an intellectual discussion about classifications) and we came to the conclusion that people have quite an idiosyncratic taste in what they call their fish, and i was wondering what the rest of you think on the subject. Do you go for naming them after things, or just gut feeling, or what?

For the record the fish i have named are:

2 angels - Schopenhauer and Nitzche

Clarence the Ancistrus

Betty and Doris the Kribs

Brian the Plec.

Raistlin and Claudius the ADF's (sadly deceased.) Apparantly Raistlin is a geeky name, my mate named him, an i can't remember where he got the name from.

and, most originally of all, Loachy 1 and Loachy 2 the Yoyo loaches.

Oh, and Thermi the Blue lobster.

What names you gone for?

(EDIT: oops, i meant to put this in Off Topic Discussions, not too organised today... Please move it for me!)

Daz 07-26-2007 09:17 AM

Re: Fish names!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mating Slinkys
Raistlin and Claudius the ADF's (sadly deceased.) Apparantly Raistlin is a geeky name, my mate named him, an i can't remember where he got the name from.

Sadly I know this :roll: Its a wizard from some AD&D book. The story was quite good. And yes I read it quite a few years ago.

leifthebunny 07-26-2007 10:59 AM

Re: Fish names!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mating Slinkys

Sadly I know this :roll: Its a wizard from some AD&D book. The story was quite good. And yes I read it quite a few years ago.

The original Dragonlance series. The first two trilogies were really good. The others slipped.

As for naming my fish, I only name my bettas and I decided that after naming the first Acorn (from the 10th Kingdom), I decided to name my bettas after nuts, so Walnut was the second betta in my collection. :)

tangy 07-26-2007 12:30 PM

my fish names are original(except for my blue tang)
Blue Tang-Dori
Yellow Tang- Mellow
Lawnmower Blenny- The Maid
Percula Clown-Tomato Head
Yellow Tail Damsel- Mr.Fish
4 Stripe Damsel- Bandit
2 Dominoe Damsels- Ying(small) and Yang(big)

Red swordtail Mollie-Rose
Black swordtail Mollie-Shadow
My Gouramis- Gore(male) and Ami(female)

..........................................and my pet turtle is Steve :D

Falina 07-26-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

I was in chat yesterday with some folks (you know who you are...)
:D

I have some names for my fish. The funniest are a set of guppies aptly named Briana Banks, Jenna Jameson, Amber Lynn and Peter North.

I also have Cher and Madonna the 2 synos

Rebus and Siobhan the plecs

Wilma and Fred, Mulder and Scully, Dracula and Van Helsing the cories.

Lupin 07-26-2007 08:50 PM

Only a few fish have names as of now.8)
Largest yoyo loach-Delta
Clown loach (alpha)-Doyle
Side-spot pattern variant clown loach-Spotty

Aquaticmoon 07-27-2007 12:56 AM

I name all my fish Melvin. :lol:

bullseye69 07-27-2007 10:16 PM

only 2 fish have names one, the gold gourami is Butthead, and the common plec is Godzilla

The Trans Am Kid 07-29-2007 08:25 PM

2 plecos- Bowser and King Kong
Corys- Yoshi, Smokey, and Bandit
Black Skirt - Catlyn
Other one - Bull

MattD 07-29-2007 08:36 PM

I've only ever named my Butterfly Fish - Hook. This is because the tip of his wing is acutely curved.