Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-71254/)

Haddix 05-25-2011 09:14 AM

New Tank

Never have had a tank this big Need some help on it. I have a 125 gal tank that I would like to start it off right. I would like to know if a FX5 is going to do a good job by its self. or do I need a HOB filter with it. I am not very good with plants and I would like this to be a planted tank. Do I need a CO2 system and what is the best substrate for plants. And what type of LIghts so the plants will grow. Never had any fish but Gourami. I would like to but my Snakeskin Gourami In this tank. They grow up to about 8" What type of fish would go good with them. Thanks for any help

AbbeysDad 05-25-2011 11:05 AM

Suggest you go into the plant forum and weed through (I'm so punny) Byron's stickies on plants - tons of good stuff there.
I'm just recently back into the hobby and right now my plastic plants are doing great! :smile:

excal88 05-25-2011 12:34 PM

You can also go the easy plant route and get plants that are the stem kind or don't need tombs buried. Wisteria and anacharis are two common stem plants that can either be anchored or left floating; both plants suck up ammonia and nitrates like mad. Plants that don't need to be buried are the anubias and java fern plants (at least the common ones). The only thing thy you need to do is anchor them to a rock or stone or driftwood via fishing line. There is also java moss and moss balls; java moss you spread over a rock or driftwood and anchor it down via fishing line. Moss balls you can leave to roll around. Most of these plants are really low maintenance, so you won't need extra substrate or fertilizers. Hope this helps! And good luck :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 05-25-2011 12:40 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Well, I guess I'll have to second AbbeysDad's suggestion, since I wrote those articles;-). They will give you a good summary overview of a natural planted setup. "Natural" means low-tech, so no CO2, and thus less light needed. Substrates have pro's and con's with each, and plants will grow in any substrate, so that's up to you depending upon what you want in the way of fish and the tank's appearance.

On fish, we have fish and plant profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. Or if the fish or plant name (scientific or common) is used in a post exactly as it appears in the profile, it will be shaded and you can click on it to see that species' profile information. Data on suitable tankmates is part of the info in the profile. The Snakeskin Gourami, Trichogaster pectoralis, is not yet in our profiles, so I would suggest other fish could include the larger danio and rasbora, medium peaceful barbs, loaches and peaceful catfish. This fish may swallow smaller fish, and as it might attain up to 12 inches, this has to be remembered. Most of the normally-available barbs, danio, etc. are in our profiles, these would be under Cyprinids.

Byron.