Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   hello to my new fish world (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-my-new-fish-world-71250/)

sada1731 05-25-2011 07:19 AM

hello to my new fish world

hello there my name is sarah and i have got a tropical fish tank for my children, my daughter aged 7 and my soone aged 18 months they both love spending time watching the fish and feeding them and trying to find our clown plec who is hiding under the bogwood most the time, once a week we do lift it to ensure he is ok and not stuck and my son loves this part of the week, we had a surprise yesterday to find we have a baby platy who looks to be about 4days to 2 weeks old but only just seen. the mum (who i didnt know was pregnant) is still the same size and has not got smaller, could this mean she is still pregnant anwe will have more soon? also i have a heavily pregnant fantail she is very round and looks like a golfball, i am surprised even the one platy survived i had two plants in the tank and now i have gone out and bought two plants ideal for the fry i will put pictures up tonight once the kids are in bed, i just wanted to say hello to you all and ask that one question, hope to talk soon
regards
sarah
:-D:-D

kane chisholme 05-25-2011 08:01 AM

That's cool that you have a baby fry, if she hasnt noticeably gone down, it sounds like she will have more soon. Have you got a photo of her? Also I'm not sure if your fantail is pregnant because generally they're just fat fish and they're not the easiest to breed so there's a good chance she's just a bit of fatty
Posted via Mobile Device

onefish2fish 05-25-2011 08:43 AM

the mother could have dumped her fry already and this is the last one left. baby fish usually end up being a snack. i believe live bearers are also capable of releasing one or two fry at a time over a period of time rather then all at once. ive def. had them drop alot at once though, so this may not be the case.
getting fake low grassy plants or live java moss is a good idea for the fry too, but a breeding net or tank will increase success rates.
whenever i keep these kinds of fish though i let nature run its course, the fry make a good source of natural food and the ones that do survive to adult hood usually are the smartest, healthest, and strongest out of the group, as to why they survived.
ofcourse thats only my two cents and we all know how much thats worth these days...:roll:

what size tank is this and what else is in with them? i feel as if the other fish got to them first.
anyways, welcome to the forum.

redchigh 05-25-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 682755)
the mother could have dumped her fry already and this is the last one left. baby fish usually end up being a snack. i believe live bearers are also capable of releasing one or two fry at a time over a period of time rather then all at once. ive def. had them drop alot at once though, so this may not be the case.
getting fake low grassy plants or live java moss is a good idea for the fry too, but a breeding net or tank will increase success rates.
whenever i keep these kinds of fish though i let nature run its course, the fry make a good source of natural food and the ones that do survive to adult hood usually are the smartest, healthest, and strongest out of the group, as to why they survived.
ofcourse thats only my two cents and we all know how much thats worth these days...:roll:

what size tank is this and what else is in with them? i feel as if the other fish got to them first.
anyways, welcome to the forum.

I'd say a little of both... A picture of the fish would confirm.

Byron 05-25-2011 06:59 PM

Hello Sarah, and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Nice to have you with us.

Byron.

sada1731 05-28-2011 02:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
thankyou all for your warm welcome and advice ... im so sorry i havent been on there was a death in the family i have attatched pictures of my fish please advise if you think any are pregnant also the micky platy that had the baby is getting a dark area near her anal fin ... could this be the second batch of fry?

regards
sarah

willow 05-28-2011 03:39 PM

hello and welcome. :)