Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   how do I propagate amazon sword plant. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-do-i-propagate-amazon-sword-71218/)

Christople 05-24-2011 08:15 PM

how do I propagate amazon sword plant.

Hi all I bought amazon sword plant it is doing amazing,(sending a stem thing to the surface) and I wish I had two but I wanted to ask before I do any thing stupid.... thanks for the help.

leogtr 05-25-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 682355)
Hi all I bought amazon sword plant it is doing amazing,(sending a stem thing to the surface) and I wish I had two but I wanted to ask before I do any thing stupid.... thanks for the help.

If its big you can divide it in two just cut it right down the middle and it will be okay:)

Byron 05-25-2011 01:17 PM

You can divide the rhizome but unless the plant is quite large I would not risk it.

The inflorescence will produce adventitious plants; once the leaves are several and about 3 inches in length [I'm assuming this is the common sword, Echinodorus bleherae] with some new roots an inch or more, you can remove the plant by carefully pulling it downward along the inflorescence (towards the base) and planting it. It will take time to reach the size of the parent plant, several months usually.

Christople 05-26-2011 12:36 AM

there is a small leaf in the middle but other then that I have know idea what you said...(inflourescence) And yes it is E. bleherae

redchigh 05-26-2011 10:11 AM

It's a flower spike... This green stem will shoot up to the surface of the water, and if you pull it under it'll form plantlets on it. If it breaks the surface, it might flower instead.

Byron 05-26-2011 11:34 AM

"Might" is the operative word indeed.;-)

Christople 05-27-2011 03:43 PM

OOOOHHHHH so it already broke the surface and should I cut it or just let it flower

Byron 05-28-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 684927)
OOOOHHHHH so it already broke the surface and should I cut it or just let it flower

Leave it alone. It is very rare for an Echinodorus grown submersed to flower, but adventitious plants will be produced from the nodes along the stem. Echinodorus will flower if grown emersed as a bog or marsh plant. If you read the plant's profile this is all explained. Click on the shaded name, Echinodorus bleherae.

redchigh 05-28-2011 11:00 AM

More often than not, even if it does flower, it will give you some plantlets too.
If you get a flower, snag a picture.

Make sure the little plantlets have a strong root system and 5-8 leaves (2-3 inches long, minimum) before removing them. If you remove them too early you will stunt their growth.

Christople 05-28-2011 11:04 AM

so do the plantlets start on the flower stem or where do those start