Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   When to change filter media (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/when-change-filter-media-71214/)

ruby716 05-24-2011 06:10 PM

When to change filter media

Hello,

I have a 10 gallon that has been set up for exactly a month today. I was just wondering when do I change the filter media cartridge? I was thinking to just clean it off and rinse it in the aquarium water on my next water change and put it back in, but I'm not sure if the carbon isn't good anymore since it's been running for a month. Or should I put a new filter cartridge in and squeeze the old one on it and rub it together to put some of the bacteria on the new one. Any suggestions?

zof 05-24-2011 07:46 PM

Most people on this forum tend not to care to much about activated carbon, as with a properly maintained tank there is no need for it. If it was me I would keep using the old cartridge until it fell apart or no longer allowed water to flow through at a good rate. When you do replace it you will want to run both the old and new cartridge together for around a week or two to let the bacteria colonize the new one so you don't start a mini cycle by removing all the bacteria.

Christople 05-24-2011 08:09 PM

+1

ruby716 05-24-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 682391)
Most people on this forum tend not to care to much about activated carbon, as with a properly maintained tank there is no need for it. If it was me I would keep using the old cartridge until it fell apart or no longer allowed water to flow through at a good rate. When you do replace it you will want to run both the old and new cartridge together for around a week or two to let the bacteria colonize the new one so you don't start a mini cycle by removing all the bacteria.

well the filter media i have is the white pad with the hard little black carbon rock things in it.. doesnt that help keep the water clean and give oxygen to the tank?

thanks for the advice :)

zof 05-24-2011 11:15 PM

Activated carbon will remove some heavy metals and some other impurities in the water along with helping control the smell and providing a good home for beneficial bacteria, but it is not necessary for a well maintained healthy tank. It shouldn't really help any with oxygen dissipation in the water though.

Go with out it, you will save money and probably not notice a difference.

ruby716 05-25-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 682574)
Activated carbon will remove some heavy metals and some other impurities in the water along with helping control the smell and providing a good home for beneficial bacteria, but it is not necessary for a well maintained healthy tank. It shouldn't really help any with oxygen dissipation in the water though.

Go with out it, you will save money and probably not notice a difference.

im confused.. what do u mean go without it? thats the kind of filter pads i have.. there white and inside is the black hard stuff..thats the carbon right?

Tomsk 05-25-2011 04:50 PM

Leave it in there and don't change it,the white outer and the carbon inner with have a nice colony of benefical bacteria on it.If it starts to get clogged up then give it a swish around in your removed old tank water when doing a water-change,if that doesn't seem to help then get a new pad and let it float in the tank alongside your running old filter/pad for a couple of weeks to allow it to gain a bacterial growth.

Tomsk

zof 05-25-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby716 (Post 683018)
im confused.. what do u mean go without it? thats the kind of filter pads i have.. there white and inside is the black hard stuff..thats the carbon right?

You can always go with the large blue pad of filter material, its cheap and you just cut it to size, no need to buy those expensive filter cartridges.