Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Where can I get the lead weights for plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/where-can-i-get-lead-weights-71089/)

excal88 05-23-2011 01:28 AM

Where can I get the lead weights for plants?

Just wondering if there's a certain store or if I could buy these lead weights at a LFS. Thanks!

SeaHorse 05-23-2011 07:43 AM

Fishing tackle has lead weights but they usually slip onto fishing line.....

Can you put lead in a tank???

jsm11482 05-23-2011 10:38 AM

I always take the lead off because it seems like a bad idea. But, they probably aren't even lead - they may be magnesium or zinc.

Quote:

Many so called 'lead weights' are in fact made out of Magnesium or zinc. You can test this, by holding a suspect lead weight over a flame. It will burn bright green if it is zinc, lead burns with a blue flame. Note if it is lead then the flumes are toxic! So make sure the room is very well ventilated.
(Lead - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki)

Maybe you can just attach your plants to a rock with some fishing line?

excal88 05-23-2011 01:04 PM

I was referring to the lead tape the fish stores use to anchor their plants and all. I'll figure something out. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

jsm11482 05-23-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excal88 (Post 681106)
I was referring to the lead tape the fish stores use to anchor their plants and all. I'll figure something out. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

I know, just pointing out they're probably not lead. Maybe these will work for you: Plant Weights

redchigh 05-23-2011 01:16 PM

Lead takes an unbelievably long time to break down in water... As in, decades upon decades. It's an issue in lakes, where there are hundreds or thousands of lead fishing weights, but in aquariums it could be ok.

I would never do it, but it technically could/should/might be ok. Just use a rock like I do.

jsm11482 05-23-2011 01:35 PM

The fact that you're not even supposed to touch lead, to me, is enough to keep it out of my aquarium!From Wikipedia:

Quote:

On August 3, 2010, The Center for Biological Diversity together with The American Bird Conservancy and several other environmental organizations and groups submitted a 100 page petition to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to request a national ban on lead based ammunition and fishing tackle in order to end the poisoning of wildlife.[60] The petition stated that lead is killing millions of wild birds, and is also a health risk to humans.
(Lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)