Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   my new tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-new-tank-7107/)

cullens089 07-25-2007 02:27 PM

my new tank

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
-90 gal
2. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or saltwater?
-Freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been setup
-Not yet waitin on my stuff i ordered
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
-
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
-No
6. What make/model filter are you using?
- 2 Marineland Penguin 350B Power Filter
7. Are you using a CO2 unit?
-no
8. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
-nope
9. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
-Theres no water yet.
10.How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
-I don't have any.
11.Is your aquarium light incandescent or fluorescent and how often is it kept on?
-I haven't bought one yet.
12.What specific concerns bring you in with a water sample at this time?
-

basically i was just wonderin what fish you guys think i should put in there?

fish_4_all 07-25-2007 02:38 PM

Personally my preferences are big schools of little fish or bigger fish that race aorund and dart all over the tank. Glo Lite tetras or danios for small fish. Loaches, eels, bichir, or other fast swimming larger fish (that wil fit a 90 gallon of course at adult size) that will swim from one side the other to gulp down anything that you drop in tank as food.

I have also gotten to thepoint where a "clean up crew" is not only unneeded but is really just taking away from what you do with a proper sized tank unless you like that species of fish. If oyu do a large group of C. Trilineatus would be cool expecially if you had a couple of shelves for them to play cat and mouse on as well as caves and tubes.

The only cleaning fish I can recommend because of size and usefulness is otos but mine don't even eat all the soft algae and diatoms so I don't know how "useful" they truely are.

I think it owld be better to give us an idea of what you want as far as colorful, fast, extive or not, ornamental, or what as far as a tank and we will help you decide what fish fit the tank and should work well.

cullens089 07-25-2007 02:50 PM

i was thinkin about 2 bichirs mayb a couple loachs sum panda corys, mayb sum red tail sharks, eh i dunno, i kno for sure i dont cichlids or at least the mean ones. im really open to anythin

Falina 07-25-2007 04:06 PM

All the fish you have mentioned are bottom dwellers. You might prefer a mix of top/middle/bottom??

cullens089 07-25-2007 04:50 PM

[All the fish you have mentioned are bottom dwellers. You might prefer a mix of top/middle/bottom??]

thats what i kinda need help with :oops: lol

Lupin 07-25-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullens089
i was thinkin about 2 bichirs mayb a couple loachs sum panda corys, mayb sum red tail sharks, eh i dunno, i kno for sure i dont cichlids or at least the mean ones. im really open to anythin

The panda cories are not going to outcompete other bottom dwellers for food. Best not to get them if you want loaches. What species of loaches and bichirs are you going to keep? 3 is the minimum number when keeping loaches. Red-tailed black sharks are quite aggressive.

cullens089 07-25-2007 06:42 PM

bichir prolly the senegalus. loachs will either be clown,kuhlii, or a botia. i dont really kno to much about loachs tho. um well then if there quite aggressive then i may get somthin els. but still open to anythin

Lupin 07-25-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullens089
bichir prolly the senegalus. loachs will either be clown,kuhlii, or a botia. i dont really kno to much about loachs tho. um well then if there quite aggressive then i may get somthin els. but still open to anythin

You'll be okay with clown loaches. Kuhlis will only be eaten if the bichir manages to catch them. In reference to botia, there are plenty of botiine loaches available in the aquarium trade.
Clown loach-Chromobotia macracanthus
Yoyo Loach-Botia almorhae
Polka-dot Loach-Botia kubotai
Zebra Loach-Botia striata
Ladder Loach-Botia rostrata
Queen Loach-Botia dario
Golden Zebra Loach-Botia histrionica
Skunk Loach-Yasuhikotakia morleti
Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki
Yasuhikotakia nigrolineatus
Yasuhikotakia caudipunctata
Yasuhikotakia longidorsalis
Yasuhikotakia lecontei
Yasuhikotakia eos
Yasuhikotakia modesta
Syncrossus beauforti
Syncrossus berdmorei
Syncrossus helodes
Syncrossus reversa
Syncrossus hymenophysa

All these loaches have a spine underneath each eye which they use to defend themselves. Be careful with these. They get tangled easily in the nets and can inflict wounds on your hands if you're not careful.