Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   8000k bulb? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/8000k-bulb-71058/)

Austin 05-22-2011 04:03 PM

8000k bulb?

My 50g fish tank came with two 15w, 18", 8000k bulbs. I already had a life glo 2 bulb that was 18" so I replaced one. I have not gotten around to buying another one yet since petsmart no longer carries them and haven't gone searching yet/ordering online. How well does an 8000k bulb work? Is it worth running it or will it just cause algae?

Byron 05-22-2011 07:19 PM

It might be fine, especially as a second tube with the Life-Glo. Can you provide me some data, like manufacturer, name of the tube? Then I can look it up; what I want to see is the spectrum graph if one exists. A link to their website would be nice if you have it, save me tracking it down.;-)

I had a Life-Glo 2 and a 11,000K Ultra Daylight over my 115g until the latter became too weak. I knew from the spectrum that this was high in the blue and red so it was balanced, but the higher blue gave a nice "cool white" hue which was still quite "natural" in combination. Don't forget that the Kelvin number is only the measurement of colour temperature, as we see it. It is the actual spectral makeup of the tube which counts as far as plant/algae issues.

Byron.

Austin 05-22-2011 07:57 PM

It just came with the aquarium so idk how to find the tube information.... It was aqueon... On the bulb it says "Preheat" which i don't understand.... It's a lot more purple than the life glo. I kinda like the color a lot more. lol. But I need 2 bulbs of the same color or else it looks kinda weird. So either both 8000k or both 6700k...

Byron 05-22-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 680600)
It just came with the aquarium so idk how to find the tube information.... It was aqueon... On the bulb it says "Preheat" which i don't understand.... It's a lot more purple than the life glo. I kinda like the color a lot more. lol. But I need 2 bulbs of the same color or else it looks kinda weird. So either both 8000k or both 6700k...

It's difficult to advise when I can't get the facts. I checked Aqueon's site, they have tubes at 8000K but they are full spectrum daylight and that would be closer to the Life-Glo. I send "purplish" hue tubes to recycling.

Austin 05-23-2011 02:21 AM

Ah, yea, I was very surprised to find that is was a 8000k bulb. I dont understand how one can be 8000k and another 8000k but the colors differnet?

gmyers0203 05-23-2011 06:57 AM

The tank I got back in March was an Aqueon Deluxe kit. It came with the same bulb you speak of, or at least it sounds like it. Mine is 8000k and is labeled as full spectrum daylight. That is the only bulb I have over my 20g. When I compare the color of it to the color of my larger tank which has two life-glo bulbs over it, it appears more pinkish.

Byron 05-23-2011 02:40 PM

If that is the same tube then, since it is full spectrum (according to Aqueon) then it should be OK. Austin, one Life-Glo and one of these is fine, probably quite good in fact.

The Kelvin only refers to the colour as we perceive it. The phosphors in the tube determine the light wavelengths that are emitted, and the plants pick those up. The tubes with a "daylight" kelvin around 6000K to 7000K usually have a decent spectrum, but not always. One has to check the spectrum graph.