Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   24g (US) Stocking suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/24g-us-stocking-suggestions-71040/)

HMlairy 05-22-2011 10:19 AM

24g (US) Stocking suggestions?

Hey I recently got a 24g rectangular tank that has been established for 3-4 weeks already. The temperature is 22.5C.
I want to be able to hold a community of small but pretty fish (such as guppies or platys) but don't want conflict between them.
Suggestions please and instructions on how many to get for each fish types and gender ratio etc..

HMlairy 05-22-2011 11:18 AM

Correction: the tank is 76F

SinCrisis 05-22-2011 11:44 AM

water parameters?

HMlairy 05-22-2011 01:05 PM

Not sure, Just know there is no ammonia or nitrites (Y)

redchigh 05-22-2011 01:57 PM

We need the ph, and then we can reccomend fish. (Tetras and rasbooras like acidic water, livebearers and danios like basic water.)

You can call your water department for a ballpark figure.

HMlairy 05-22-2011 03:30 PM

Okay I got a book of what fish which says their prefered pH (Y)
I just need to know what fish go well together

Byron 05-22-2011 07:35 PM

What are your water parameters out of the tap? If you have very hard water you wouldn't get any benefit if I start lising soft water fishes, and vice versa.

Also, an idea of what you like would help. We have fish profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top. You can browse almost all of the regularly-available fish there. Data on water, compatibility,e tc. is provided for each species, along with at least one photo. That might help you narrow down things.

Fish compatibility is based on many factors, including lighting, filtration, plants, wood, rock, caves, filter flow...and that's before we even consider their behaviours.:-)

Byron.

HMlairy 05-23-2011 08:06 AM

Alright I got for it a 30g internal filter with no artifical lighting near a window. I got my tap water tested but can't remember the exact number, it was alkali from what I remember and the water is hard.
And I was thinking of Platys or Guppies, they look cute. Do they have to live in shoals?

Byron 05-23-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMlairy (Post 680910)
Alright I got for it a 30g internal filter with no artifical lighting near a window. I got my tap water tested but can't remember the exact number, it was alkali from what I remember and the water is hard.
And I was thinking of Platys or Guppies, they look cute. Do they have to live in shoals?

Livebearers (guppies, platy, swordtail, molly) prefer hard alkaline water, so that would be a good choice. They like to be together, but shoaling is not important like it is with tetra or rasbora. However, if you have male and female, you will have fry, hundreds of them. Many will survive, which means more load biologically on the water.

HMlairy 05-24-2011 10:29 AM

Thank you! I don't mind fry :)
How much are guppies and platys on average do you reckon? How much space do they need?