Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   I'm really upset (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/im-really-upset-71032/)

kane chisholme 05-22-2011 07:44 AM

I'm really upset

Well today I did a water change, just like so many others I've done every couple of days over the years exert this time something terrible happened, all my fish started looking sick. My parents and I called the water place for my city to see if it had changed at all and guess what, because of dirty water getting in the dam or something they loaded lots of extra chlorine into the water which was way too much even for my dechlorinater stuff I always put in my new water. Since then it's been a really sad night for me and one by one I've seen my little fish friends die infront of me knowing I can't do anything because my dechlorinater stuff is too weak. I'm so upset and I've loved these fish since I was young like 11 now I'm 15 and to see the fish I've taken so much care for and pride in over the years disappear, it breaks my heart. What can I do anyone? I just cant bear to watch them. Sorry if I sound like a big sook but I'm just so sad
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 05-22-2011 07:55 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. I would be very sad too :(

Is there any way you can get spring water and change out the water with that? I know it's a lot of water but that's the only thing I can think of that will be a short term fix to try to save the fish you have left.

kane chisholme 05-22-2011 08:01 AM

It's now 10:00pm here and everythings closed up like shops and stuff and I'm just gonna have to hope when I wake in the morning I will have something to see swimming around. I miss them a lot

Romad 05-22-2011 08:17 AM

Crossing my fingers for you.

You might want to look into getting a water filtration system if they're going to keep that much chlorine in your water supply.

Levels that high can't be good for humans either :( Good luck.

kane chisholme 05-22-2011 08:20 AM

Thanks for the help romad
Posted via Mobile Device

martian123 05-22-2011 09:19 AM

I'm soooooo sorry because i'm 11 and to think of all my fish that i have been taking care of makes me almost want to cry.

Christople 05-22-2011 10:17 AM

add a lot more of dechlor... like double the dose. are you useing prime or tetra safe or what, Dose it directly to the tank and doble it as I have said

Byron 05-22-2011 01:59 PM

This is sad to hear, and I too am very sorry for you. But at least we can offer help for the future.

Can you tell us which water conditioner you use? If this is just a chlorine issue, all of those I am familiar with would have handled it. IO'm wondering if chloramine was being added, and some conditioners may not deal with this. I may have more when I know the product you used.

Second, fish suffering from chlorine poisoning wold all be at the top, gasping, with very red inflamed gills. And they would soon be dead, within minutes or hours. Was this how they reacted? Or differently?

Byron.

redchigh 05-22-2011 02:01 PM

If it was me, I'd just add a lot more dechlorinator.

Christople 05-22-2011 03:26 PM

^^^^^^^ do what redchigh said