Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Kribs compatibility? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/kribs-compatibility-71020/)

paige17 05-21-2011 10:52 PM

Kribs compatibility?

Ok so I am trying to plan out fish for my 36 gallon tank and was hoping to put a pair of Kribs in there. What would be some good dither fish to add? I like cardinal tetras and danios, but will the cardinal tetras be too small for when the kribs get aggressive while spawning? I wasn't sure on what is the minimum size fish I could safely keep with kribs. Anyway, would schools of those fish work or what are some other suggestions from anyone who has experience with kribs?

By the way, would only getting a pair of Kribs be okay?

Thanks in advance!

Christople 05-22-2011 09:01 AM

SO cardinals like really acidic and soft water and kribs like around seven so there is the first prob... don't get cories I regret it with kribs and size wise cardinals would work... maybe a good option would be the lemon tetra or some other that you like

paige17 05-22-2011 09:52 AM

Alright, thank you so much!

Byron 05-22-2011 12:24 PM

As mentioned in our profile of the Kribensis, small fish may be eaten. And a pair is recommended. During spawning (they will spawn) they can be a bit rough to other fish, so somewhat "robust" upper fish like Danio, smaller barbs, medium characins are possibilities. There are several of each of these in our profiles.

Byron.

paige17 05-22-2011 01:50 PM

Okay, thank you. Would tiger barbs be suitable? I remember reading somewhere that some barbs might harm the fry. Not sure if this is accurate.

Byron 05-22-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paige17 (Post 680356)
Okay, thank you. Would tiger barbs be suitable? I remember reading somewhere that some barbs might harm the fry. Not sure if this is accurate.

On the fry question first, all fish in any tank will attempt to eat the eggs and fry of any fish that spawn. This is only natural. Cichlids of course practice parental care of both, and as I said, kribs can be rather rough doing so, so some other fish are kept at bay, some not so well. When fish realize such ready food as eggs and fry are present, they can be very clever at ganging up. Raising fry in a community tank is generally speaking impossible, though sometimes... nothing much is absolute when it comes to fish. I have seen groups of corys--and you won't find a more peaceful, get-along-with-everyone type fish that a cory--go into a feeding frenzy with eggs and shoaling fry of both species of ram cichlids. The attacks of the parents could not stop them and it was over in seconds.

To the Tiger Barb. If you read our profile (click the shaded name) you will see this is not a normal community fish; it comes with problems that again can be more or less obvious depending upon the fish and environment. But it is safest to have at least 8 (preferably more), and in their own space unless the tank is large, and larger than a 36g.

paige17 05-22-2011 02:27 PM

Thank you for your quick reply, it was all very helpful. :-D

bubbles1 07-01-2011 05:08 PM

heey i have kribs and they really dont bother anything and they even bred and didnt attack anything:p they currently live with harlaquin rasboras,cories,guppies,barbs,bamboo shrimp

paige17 07-04-2011 01:42 PM

Oh thanks, that is nice to hear! I have some danios at the moment, and I was thinking about getting some tetras too. Also, would a pair of pearl gourami be suitable with kribs? I have read that slow moving fish like gourami shouldn't be kept together with cichlids, but then I read on a compatibility site that they are one of the types of gouramis that can be kept with kribs.