Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   new tank ... time for new fish - which ones?!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-tank-time-new-fish-ones-7102/)

richlovesboys 07-25-2007 11:27 AM

new tank ... time for new fish - which ones?!?

getting a new tropical 54l tank with a power filter and i'm not sure about which fish i should get. basically i want them as pretty as poss but easy to care for at the same time.

my water parameters in my smaller tanks are

20ish mg/l NO3
0.1mg/l NO2
my water is quite hard - 16d GH, 9d KH
Ph is quite alkaline 7.8 ish

my current shortlist is:

ghost shrimp (really want a couple)

angelfish (really want one)

african butterfly fish

mollies

dwarf gourami

guppies

i have platies in another tank with some bettas and these could be swapped over with some of the above fish, just which would work well together?

thanks[/i]

leifthebunny 07-25-2007 12:21 PM

I wouldn't recommend angelfish in a 14g tank, they require much more height.

Ghost shrimp would be ok with more placid type fish, but those that are aggressive are likely to get clawed up by ghost shrimp as they will get to 3-4" in size (7.5-10cm) and are known to beat up fish with their claws. Wood shrimp get to the same size and are filter feeders and have no claws.

richlovesboys 07-25-2007 01:24 PM

ok thanks so now ive got no angel fish but some wood shrimp, does that mean any of the others mentioned are ok? :D

Falina 07-25-2007 02:36 PM

It's not impossible to keep both mollies and guppies together. By all means they would get along fine but I would personally stick to just guppies because they're smaller. Mollies can actually get quite big which might become a bit tight for your tank. On top of that there is the possibility (inevitability if you have a mix of sexes) of fry and having more than one type of livebearer would just make the problem worse.

I would stick to male guppies since you like pretty fish and these are much more colourful and this way you wouldn'tneed to worry about fry.

mcdanielnc89 07-25-2007 03:50 PM

Also mollies and guppies will inbreed...

Falina 07-25-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdanielnc89

While this is possible it is very unlikely. Worth making a note of it though.

mcdanielnc89 07-25-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdanielnc89

While this is possible it is very unlikely. Worth making a note of it though.

verytime i put mollies with my guppies they alwys bred.. so why jsut make a note of it.. it will happen.....

Falina 07-25-2007 04:10 PM

There you are then!

mcdanielnc89 you are the first person I know of that this has happened to. Have you any photos of the fry? I'd be interested to see them.

mcdanielnc89 07-25-2007 04:18 PM

Unfortunately, no i don't have any photos of the fry... But please, research what u don't know for a fact before u tell soemone else.. i am not posting this to be mean or anything but the mollies and guppies will inbreed as well as platys and swordtails.. yes the fry may be weak as it's a hybrid but it is somethign that happens all the time in the world with many experience fishkeepers... again I'm sorry if this offends you.. But ( I don't knwo how else to put it)....

Falina 07-25-2007 04:24 PM

I'm not offended at all. I am interested to hear things like this. I said what I said only from what I have researched and from my own experience. Any source I have come across has said that it is very unlikely and as I have said my own experience has been that they won't interbreed (platties and swords is another story of course) which is why I was so interested in your fry.